27 August 2008

Commercials

As I have mentioned, I watch television.
As a child, it was always on as background noise and I even had one in my bedroom. (yes, fact checkers, I had a television as a child even though we were poor. My dad got it out of the dump and fixed it then he pirated cable but that's another story...)

Anyway, that habit extends to my adult life. There's something about my ADD brain that the television communicates directly with and oddly, allows me to concentrate on other things. Also, the television can be my savior during Insomnia Fests.

MG can take or leave television. If it's something he's interested in, then he's interested. If not, he goes and finds something else to do. (the reverse is currently happening because he's watching something I'm not interested in.)

Recently, he has been plagued by commercials. As also mentioned previously, he is clever and witty.

A commercial came on the other day and he automatically muted it.
A few seconds later, he asks: "Do you know what I like about this commercial?"
I looked at the screen, puzzled, and said "No, what?"
"I can't hear it."

One of his least favorites is any Oxy Clean commercial. He muted one of those and then said "For the love of God, it's muted and I can STILL HEAR HIM!"

The commercial I fear is going to cause him a psychotic break is the JG Wentworth commercials. The shiny silver suit wasn't enough, he had to add "It's my money! I Want it NOW!" I find my blood pressure raising as I write this. You can't mention this ad without seeing a tic appear above MG's eye. This commercial will wake him out of a sound sleep.

This is the long way around to the point of this post, I realize.

Tonight, we're eating dinner and MG is frowning at the television. I look at the screen and wait for the commercial to finish. I mention "That's the most subtly GROSS commercial I have ever seen."
In a quiet voice, all I hear is "I've never seen anything like that..."

It was the Charmin Ultra commercial about shredding toilet paper leaving remnants on your bum. They use cute cartoon bears so that you're not retching. Like you're not going to notice the appalling grossness of this because a mama bear is saying it.

Oh and the piece de resistence is the image that the mother bear is chasing him with a whisk broom to brush off his bum. Seriously!

What about this is appealing!?! Who the hell thought this ad up? Who approved it? Who BOUGHT it? Was it an episode of Punk'd gone horribly wrong?

Just eeww.

No comments: