19 August 2008

Cast of Characters

For those of you who are just joining us, here is a little list of people in my life & paltry little details to enlighten...

MG is "The Mad Genius". He's my husband of 15 years. We've been together for 18 years because we *gasp* lived in sin for three years. He is a Pit Boss, which sounds like he is James Caan in Las Vegas but actually manages an excavating company. He also has a racecar and is a semi-professional drag racer. (semi-professional as he gets payouts if he wins and we get asked to do exhibitions) He has ADHD and Grave's Disease which makes for some very interesting moments in my life. ("Just sit still, for the Love of GOD before I tie you to a chair" is a good description) He is the Smartest and funniest guy I know. You know the guy at the party that everyone gravitates to? That's him.

I wear a few hats in my life but not as many as a few years ago. I work as an office manager for the YWCA, which is a transitional housing program for women. I've only been doing this for a little over a year. Before that, I was an administrator for a non-profit school. For one year, in between, I was blissfully "retired". I spent one year hanging out here at the house, writing and basically goofing off. I took the YW job on a whim and it's been a pretty good gig.
I help MG with the racecar too. A few years ago, I helped run a racing organization that we participate in. While I miss being in the mix of things at races, I don't miss the stress.
I spend my time at home writing, obviously, and reading. Beyond this blog, I am unpublished but not for the lack of trying. I will persevere so don't worry about me. I am also a television/movie watcher...don't get me started on those topics, I can go for hours.
I would describe myself as witty and sarcastic. I heard a lot of "You Haven't Changed A Bit Since High School" at my 20th reunion last summer. I haven't decided if that's good or bad.


Anyone with the "i-l" distinction will be an in-law. As I've mentioned before: my life is a reality show. 7 people, 2 acres, 3 houses. Welcome to the Commune, don't drink the Kool-Aid.
They're wonderful. They're my family and like all families, they have their quirks. My family life very much resembles "Everybody Loves Raymond." Curious to see what my life is like? Tune in to the show. I am a less-bitchy Debra.

My parents have been married over 50 years and closely resemble Archie Bunker and Edith. You think I'm kidding. I'm NOT.

"Brother Dear" is my eldest brother. "Little Brother" is also my older brother but due to maturity issues growing up, has been given that nickname. I am close-ish to Brother Dear and not close to Little Brother. Neither of them are married, we didn't fair well in the marriage department. They both have an attraction for Psycho Bitches From Hell. I don't get it.

I have two teen-aged nieces that the sun rises and sets upon. Brother Dear's girls.
I have a niece and a nephew that are my b-i-l's children. They're grown adults and pretty cool.
I also have a grand-nephew...how I hate using the "grand" word. He's five and while cute, challenging. We are his GodParents.

We are childless, not by choice. I won't bore you with the details but know that if I ever actually become pregnant, it's mostly like the second coming and I will post as quickly as possible to prepare yourself accordingly.

We do have a dog. It. Is. Not. Our. Child. If you sense some resentment, it's because there is. I can't count how many times our dog has been referred to as our child. Or heard the comment "Well, you have a dog. That can be like having a child." Yeah. Right. We are not Mommy & Daddy, we are Pet Owners. And be it as it may, the dog simply tolerates us because we control the food and the door.

Friends...for lack of any other witty way to refer to them, I designate them by initial:

C- is my BFF from childhood. She's a world traveler and always tells me like it is. She is witty and sarcastic and has been since birth.

D- is my first adult BFF. She's a mix of Kathy Griffin and herself. You will never know what is going to come out of her mouth. She is married to "W" whom is one of MG's oldest and dearest friends. (how's that for a tidy little package?) She is the pillow giver.

K - is also my adult BFF friend who lives entirely TOO FAR AWAY. She is also known as the Wonderful "Swistle".

And I think that's everyone. At least the important ones, which means I've forgotten someone terribly important and I'll make it up to them later, I swear.

Welcome to my life. I hope you enjoy it here! Thanks for hanging around!