18 August 2008

Tagged

Well, here's something fun:

I was tagged by another blogger! Not Your Aunt Bea at This Wonderful, Crazy Life.

Here's how it works:

The Rules:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules to your blog.
3. Write 6 random things about yourself.
4. Tag 6 people at the end of your post and link to them.
5. Let each person you have tagged know by leaving a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is posted.

Fun! I don't have six bloggers to tag so I will muddle through that part...I read Andrew Sullivan's blog, he probably wouldn't be interested...I read Kevin Smith's blog, also probably not interested...(:-D I don't want to hijack anyone off of Swistles list... Hmmm....

Enjoy!

6 Random Things About Me

I have learning disabilities…you’d never guess it but I do. In fact, I made it mostly through school without it being discovered. I am terrible at math because of them and barely made passing grades in any math classes.

Learning to type was also a near impossibility. I think I barely passed that class as well. The irony that I’m now a writer makes me giggle. The auto-correct setting on WORD is a godsend to me. Not because I’m a bad speller (I’m actually a walking dictionary) but because my brain doesn’t always communicate with my fingers.

I am sure this is also a factor in why I hate school and have two incomplete degrees.

I am the Anti-Cook. (Some people may say I’m the anti-Christ but I emphasize “COOK”) I hate to cook, I just cannot stand it. I resent it actually.

I am blessed with a husband who eats like a six-year-old and am surrounded by family that does enjoy cooking! But left to my own devices, I would subsist on cereal and macaroni & cheese.

If I am ever independently wealthy, the first thing I will do: hire someone to cook for me or buy a “Dinner’s Ready” franchise, just for me.

I am not a feminist…well, that’s not accurate: I am not a feminazi or feminista as talk radio often refers to some women. I live a fairly traditional life, believe it or not.

I have often found that women who indicate that they are feminists are some of the most angry and insecure women I have ever met. For all their bravado, you can sense it simmering underneath, as if they’re terrified that someone is going to figure them out. I usually wonder what they’re hiding.

I cook, I clean, and I hold most of the woman’s traditional roles. Yet, I am one of the most non-traditional humans you will meet. I am one of a handful of women licensed pyro-technicians, I crew on my husband’s racecar and have run racing organizations. I inhabit Boy World more than anywhere else.

While I believe in equal rights, I believe there are also reasons that women have traditionally held certain roles; it is just how we are wired. Surely, there are exceptions to every rule. I feel it is kind of like stereotypes: they’ve become stereotypes for a reason!

I don't think of marriage as property transfer. I don't think that because I chose to take Randy's name I am any less of a person. I think that it's about becoming a team, choosing to link myself with someone that I love.

So, despite of the non-traditional roles I have in life, I find myself leaning more toward the traditional ways of doing things. I think that being a little bit of both makes me a stronger ( and hopefully) more interesting person.

____________________________________________________________________


I am not comfortable on the water. I grew up on a lake; I know it makes no sense. I think if I had control, I wouldn’t be as uncomfortable but there it is. Having grown-up around water, of course I have had few incidents but nothing to rationalize this fear. You know what really freaks me out? When cars or boats sink in movies. (Ice Road Truckers on History Channel!!!) Weirds me out. I think I may have been a passenger on the Titanic in my last life.

However, it is not an insurmountable fear. I ride the ferries, I swim. I’ve done fireworks shows on barges. It is just uncomfortable. *shoulder shrug*

One of my goals in life is to drive across the United States. I have always, always, always wanted to do this. The MG cringes every time I mention this. I can’t imagine him “allowing” me to do this but as he isn’t as interested in it as much as I am AND the fact that Swistle lives on the opposite side of the States from me, I think I may be able to swing it someday. I have actually MapQuested the journey! Someday, I’m telling you!

__________________________________________________________________

I sing in the car and at home. All the time, to everything. Eminem, Dixie Chicks, Sheryl Crowe, it doesn’t matter. When I was home for that year (wistful sigh), I sung all the time. It was a difficult thing to change when I did return to work.

I think it’s a habit I picked up from the MG. He sings all the time. Actual lyrics, made up lyrics, commercial jingles. It’s just what he does.


____________________________________________________________________

Now you know 6 very random things about me! None of which is probably useful but hopefully entertaining.

Tagged:

Swistle
Urban Oasis
All You Need to Know
The QC Report

3 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

When you take your road trip across the US you will have to swing by Texas and pick me up. I think that would be a blast! But, the chances of me doing it are getting slimmer every year.

Anonymous said...

Hello Firegirl, I found you through Bea's tag. I linked to your post due first of all to your post regarding hanging photos in your closet. (I do the same thing :D)

I enjoyed your 6 random items and will be a frequent visitor from here on out.

I really like what you wrote about your non.traditional/tradiional way of living.
As for the cross country trip-maybe someday a group of we 'blogging buddies' should get together and make a blogger's photography/writers trip. You would have to be the writer though! :D

All the Best.

Anonymous said...

I have driven back and forth across the United States several times in the last 20 years ... sometimes taking the southern route and sometimes the northern ... either way I would do it again in a heartbeat. Do it when you get the chance ... it's an amazing adventure.