10 August 2008

Ray Charles

So, I wear glasses. I have since I was a toddler and they're just a part of me that I don't much think about.

Today, as I was driving (perfect timing, btw) I noticed that I wasn't seeing very well. WTH? For whatever reason, I immediately went into drama mode. This, I rarely do. But things have gone so pear-shaped this year, I just immediately jumped to a permanent blindness conclusion.

This isn't out of the realm of reality, actually. My mother has Macular Degeneration, as does my aunt and my grandmother was blind from it. But this is a late-in-life disease not a just having a big birthday in three months disease.

I should have jumped to a permanent blonde-ness conclusion.

After I put my sunglasses on, prescription a few years too old, my sight was a little better. So, okay, I moved on. Once I got home and switched back to my glasses, I was becoming Ray Charles again.

What did I do? Ignore it. Because that's helpful. But still that little niggling thought was wandering around my brain.

Light bulb moment: it occurred to me out of nowhere. CHANGE YOUR GLASSES.

a) I just had an exam three weeks ago. I need new lenses. DUH. As this is the "other" year for my insurance, new lenses are out of pocket. Yikes. So I've been planning on September to sell a kidney and get new glasses.

b) I've been reading a HUGE book. HUGE! 600 pages...and this is the second in the series.

c) MG got home late last night and we were up a little later than usual. (get your mind out of the gutter...)

*smacking of head*

I changed into my other pair of glasses and VIOLA, I have my vision back! It's magic!

Apparently, I've bent the frames on my other pair and my eyes are just tired enough to notice.
I am not going blind. Going stupid, yes. But not blind.

I guess I can stop practicing Ray Charles lyrics now...

2 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

You're too funny. I have jumped to the same conclusion before too- that I was going blind- that it was a tumor. Yeah, I forgot to put my other contact in. It's not a tumor. I'm just stupid.

Swistle said...

Ha! I do that same thing. I go from "Hm, am I a little dizzy?" to "PROBABLY A BRAIN TUMOR!!!" in about 4 seconds.