27 May 2009

Bunny

The other night I couldn't sleep and was watching Definitely Maybe. It was the part where Ryan Reynolds (hello Gorgeous) was trying to tuck Abigail Breslin into bed. As she snuggled into bed, she made sure that her stuffed animals were gathered around her.

It made me think of "Bunny" the beloved stuffed animal that I had as a child. It was the ugliest damn thing you've ever seen. I vaguely remember my mom trying to convince me to "take care of" another bunny instead of that one. To no avail, for some reason, I loved that bunny more.

The scene made me miss Bunny a little. As adults, we tend not to need stuffed animals anymore. They usually get replaced with spouses. Yet, there are times that I think all of us could use the comfort of a silly, childhood toy. Spouses aren't always available...or wanted. Sometimes, despite all we have, we just need something to hold onto.

Perhaps I'll dig him out of the keepsake boxes.

And posted here for your comic relief: a portrait of Bunny & the five year old me, taken by my eldest brother in 1975:

2 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

I love it. I had teddy bear, but Miss A has her bunny. I picked out a bunny for her when I was pregnant and my mom had given me the Velveteen Rabbit for her. It is just so sweet to see her snuggle with him. And thank goodness he can be washed too! Sometimes he gets a little too rambunctious.

Swistle said...

OMG, are you the cutest?? Yes you are.