14 May 2009

"I wouldn't fire him for that..."

The other day a family member did something that I thought only happened on the internet.

Last week I was surfing Facebook, like I do, and came upon a Note posted by my niece's husband. This note was about four paragraphs and the topic was what idiots he worked for and how he knew how to run the job site better than them. (including the owner...of a multi-million dollar publishing company)

I read it, aghast, twice. I couldn't believe that someone would be so stupid. STOOPID. I have to mis-spell the word just because it was so incredibly stupid.

I phoned Kevin and told him what was posted. He was incredulous. He couldn't believe that someone would actually do that.

By the end of the day most of the family knew what he had done and we waited anxiously to see if something would happen.

Well, it did. Within three days he was called into the bosses office and told "Come in Monday and we'll see if you still work here."

Of course my niece called her mother sobbing that he might lose his job. She couldn't put a spin on it because the family already knew what boneheaded thing he'd done.
They didn't come up for Mother's Day as they were too upset.

Monday came and the day passed. We didn't hear anything. Facebook was quiet. We all waited, again, with baited breath.

Tuesday morning came around and there was a status update from my niece. "Glad to be working today because Hubby is unemployed."

Um, no. That's not accurate. He's not unemployed, he got FIRED for being an IDIOT.

I tell this story because it is so incredible that someone would actually do this. But it's interesting how arrogance can mess up people's lives. He has always thought he was the smartest guy in the room and I think Karma just caught up with him, as it usually does.

I relayed this story to my boss, whom I love because she does not mince words. She said:

"I wouldn't have fired him for posting on Facebook. I would have fired him because he's stupid."

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Wow! That is crazy...I try to be really careful what I post publicly-- facebook included!