04 June 2009

Ghosts of Christmases Past

The month of May has been a trippy one. I am so glad it's done.

Facebook opens all kinds of doors to the past. I've seen pictures of an ex-boyfriend and the girl that Michael slept with while we were still married. One of my friends is friends with a guy from high school that left flowers & notes in my locker for two weeks straight then pulled a Martin Blank and disappeared off the face of the earth.

Yesterday I avoided an ex-boyfriend in the grocery store. It freaked me right the hell out and I'm not sure why. Although I am aware that I forgot half the things I needed because of it.

But that's not the interesting part. This is:

At work we had a United Way tour for the allocations committee last week-ish.

I was working on my computer and not paying much attention as people began to arrive. Suddenly I hear "Well Howdy Stranger"

Ah, sh*t.

I glance up to see my former boss standing there. Strangely and much to my surprise, I didn't throw office supplies or the computer monitor at her. I was able to react in a calm and non-reactive way: "Oh, hi." As if I didn't want to tell her to "Walk away. Now. No, really. Walk away."

But as J said "That would be bad. She's on the committee." But the mental image is entertaining for me so I'm keeping it.

She acted as if Nothing Bad Had Ever Happened.

I wonder what color the sky is in her world. Seriously.

She asked about Kevin and fam. I responded with benign, non-specific answers. She commented on my view from my desk. (which is pretty damn good) She chatted about how her kids are doing (whom I do miss terribly) and how her husband is (also whom I miss...we were friends)

Then she walked away. And I still didn't even throw things at her. Or make a face even. How very grown up I am.

Oh, but I thought it. I so thought it.

It's just who she is. She leaves this terrible wake in her path and has No Idea that she does it. Or chooses to have no idea, I'm not sure.

But now, I can cross that off my list. I've finally seen her and I didn't commit any crimes.

Whew!

Now I'm wondering who else I might bump into from my past. Although May is now over so perhaps I'm off the hook and the Ghost of Christmases Past have wandered off to bother someone else. I surely hope so.

1 comment:

Dynamita said...

I'm curious now. You gotta tell us the story of your ex boss!