06 June 2009

Full Circle

Last night was Apie's graduation. We made it through with just brave tears and not all-out sobbing so that's good.

Kevin & I sat with Brother Dear and Satan...Apie's mom...so that was cozy. A few people away was one of Kevin's oldest & dearest friends whose daughter was also graduating so that was nice.
We all bonded together in this moment, sharing laughter & tears as we watched our kids step into adulthood.

There's nothing like going to a high school graduation for a LOST-like time warp. Flashbacks of graduations past bounced through my head all evening.

Brother Dear is ten years older than I am. He graduated in 1977 and I remember it like it was yesterday, even though I was only about seven years old then. In 1977, Queen was HUGE. They played "We Will Rock You" very loudly while the crowd & graduates stomped, clapped, and sung along. It. was. awesome.

And my dad...who Haaaaatttteeessss rock & roll music...was not amused.

Then, the actual theme song was "Do You Know Where You're Going To?" which is a perfect high school graduation song. I remember having chills listening and watching him graduate. Especially poignant knowing he was leaving for the service in two weeks for a three year tour.

The theme song for my graduation...in 1987...was "Don't Forget Me When I'm Gone." Lame.

What was I talking about? Oh, yeah.

The theme song...which Apie sung in choir during graduation...was "If You're Out There" by John Legend. Perfect.

As Apie crossed the stage we clapped and yelled and swelled with pride. "You did it." I told Brother Dear, while not making eye contact lest we begin bawling right there. "I am lucky" he replied. Well, luck only has a little to do with it.

It would be nice to bottle the excitement and enthusiasm that high school graduates emanate. We lose that so quickly as adults.


1 comment:

Bethany said...

Congratulations to her! I just read your story about her and her family below and wow-- she's come a long way! Kudos to your brother and whole family :)