15 March 2009

Saturday Nights Alright

We had a great day yesterday, Kevin & I. It was one of those everything is just right days.

The in-laws are gone for the weekend so that instantly relieves some pressure. For four days, we are not part of the Witness Protection Program. We are not reluctant teenagers who feel obligated to check in every day. Ahhhh...bliss.

Kevin & I did Saturday morning errands together. This is a rarity. Usually Kevin is up to his elbows in projects & jobs but this Saturday we had to be together for a bit.

It started with a trip to the tire store. The big truck needs new front tires and I've been putting it off, which in turn, has earned me two snow days. Nevertheless, it was time. Kevin left then I left a few minutes later.

As I got nearer, I phoned him to let him know to meet me outside. He's recently changed my ringtone to Elton John "The Bitch is Back" so he was sheepish while answering his cell in a busy store. I heard him explaining as he answered "It's my wife", much to the amusement of others.

Then my brother-in-law phones with a riddle:
"80% of Kindergarteners can answer this correctly. Only 17% of Harvard grads can. What's greater than God, more evil than the devil, poor people have it, rich people don't and if you eat it you'll die."

Kevin's impulse answer was: "Vagina!!!"

So, we phoned a friend, D. She couldn't think of an answer either. Now there's five of us trying to figure out this damn riddle. We continued on to Target, mulling the answer.

Now Kevin is entertaining while shopping as he has no filter. As he was drinking a mocha and eating a giganto Starbucks cookie, I had control of the shopping cart thus keeping the public safe. (he turns into a ten-year-old boy when in control of a cart...skidding tires, sound effects, etc)

As we shopped, I asked him about various things. "You need paper towels for your shop?"
"Yes"
"They only have pretty girly ones, do you care?"
"With all of the chick calendars in my shop, do you think girl towels will really make a difference?"

Then, we discussed oatmeal. I got him the fruit & cream instant oatmeal last week. He didn't hate it but it wasn't his favorite. So he chose the regular kind. "It's oatmeal for God's sake, it doesn't need fancying up."

We discussed the merits of boxer briefs...we both deemed them probably uncomfortable under Levi's. I don't find them attractive, at all.

Then as we're checking out, I asked him about going to Freddy's next.
"I'm all about your happiness" he replies in a slightly sardonic tone.
Well, the woman behind us *swooned*"You have him trained right" she smiles.

Meanwhile, Kevin had wandered off, as per Kevin.
I decided not to burst her happiness bubble and let her believe he actually meant that he'd like to go to the grocery store because it makes me happy. Which, in fact, it doesn't, because we come home with candy, Captain Crunch, doggy treats, magazines, Cracker Jacks, and assorted crap we don't need.

Oh, I forgot to mention the anneurysm about spending bank on Milano cookies! He liked them much more when he didn't know how expensive they were. (:-D

I dropped him off at the tire store & went grocery shopping alone. I am commando shopper, so this doesn't take long. D calls with the answer to the riddle while I'm shopping, so I call Kevin & Kevin calls his brother. Meanwhile, my nephew phoned a friend (me) to get the answer to the riddle as well. I told him Kevin's answer, to which he laughed but then demanded the answer.

We finally get home and we each do our Saturday chores. We had a birthday party to be at that evening so we were hustling to get everything done. Turns out, we were done early so we actually got to take a wee nap and all that implies.

Off to the birthday party! It's D's 39th birthday. She invited a big group of us to dinner at a Japanese Steak House. It. Was. SO. Yummy. Just WOW. Yummy.
We sat with my brother & new girlfriend and the fam, of course.

D's husband, W, did a very sweet thing. He handed everyone an index card and instructed us to write a memory we have of D. Then she read them at the end of the party. Very sweet.

Then we went to a martini bar & listened to Spaceband. They are a 90's cover band and pretty doggone good. The Nephew & continued our long running "Who Sings this Song?" game.
It was fun to people watch, for sure. It's an university town so there are plenty of college kids. Mostly girls, strangely enough.

The boys aren't dancers but my nephew is. D and Nephew danced quite a bit. As the nephew is a good looking, strapping young man, it's fun to watch him in crowds like that...or rather watch girls watch him in crowds like that.

D & I danced to Hey Ya and it's been forever since I've danced so I felt like the dorky white girl that I am. Fun, all the same. And Hey Ya is now stuck in my head.

Oh, and there was a smokin' hot guy there...actually about our age I think...that made D & I want to be single for just a wistful moment.

My sister-n-law was asked to dance by a woman and my brother-in-law was asked to dance by a different woman. That was interesting to watch, for sure.
Kevin asked if I would have danced with the woman, had she asked me. ((we have a no dancing with opposite sex agreement)) I told him I wasn't sure but then said "No, because married is married, regardless of the gender of the person asking."

We finally left there about 11:30, just as the bar was beginning to get drunk-thirty. Always a good time to leave.

It made me miss being young & doing the bar scene yet also made me feel old. I could be most of those people's mom, for goodness sake. And it was nice to come home to our nice quiet house and be old people.

*Happy Birthday D!!!*



(oh, and the answer is "nothing" As in "nothing is greater than God, etc.")

1 comment:

Swistle said...

I disbelieve that 80% of kindergartners would get that right!