24 July 2009

The Look of Love

I think that when you've been with someone for a long period of time, you stop seeing one another. Really. Sure you might notice a detail here & there but we get so caught up in the day to day effluvia that they get taken for granted.

For instance, when Kevin was sick, people would comment on how thin he was. While I knew this, it was always a jolt when I took a good look at him.

A co-worker hadn't seen a picture of Kevin yet. How this happened I don't know as I have the family portrait on my desk and eleventy pictures of him on my screensaver.

So I showed her a picture of him and she began to laugh. Wait, what?
She explained "It's a good thing you told me he was your husband because I was going to say 'Who's that? He's HOT!"

We forget these things. Sure, we feel attracted to our spouses but we sometimes forget what Attracted them to us in the first place. It's normal, I suppose but sad all the same. So of course I felt a little more affectionate toward him when I got home because I had seen him through someone elses eyes.

Then I showed her another picture...like I said eleventy pictures I have of him...and she sighed. "Oh, that's so sweet."

Along the lines of we forget to look at our loved ones, we also tend to forget how they look at us.

My nephew took this picture in Vegas without our knowledge. It's my all time favorite of us.



3 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

Aww....

Jess said...

This post is sweet. And so true!

Hotch Potchery said...

About 3 weeks ago, my son took a picture of me looking at my husband...it is so sappy and goofy and I love it!