13 October 2009

Twenty Years Ago

For years, Labor Day weekend found a huge group of friends camping way, way, way out in the woods. I went with Mike one year as sort of a last ditch attempt at trying to be married. Little did I know that Kevin was attempting the same impossible feat at the time.

While I wasn't immediately *attracted* to Kevin, I couldn't help but notice him. Our friends refer to him as the Yeller. He's often the loudest one in the room, the heart of a party. This camping trip was no different. At first, I thought "Who the hell is this guy?" but by the end of the weekend, I liked him. No vibes or surreptitious glances. Neither of us were there yet, but I was aware of him for sure.

So it wasn't entirely unpleasant when I saw him again about six months later. We were both single and suddenly, we connected. Much to our mutual surprise.

This weekend was the 19th anniversary of our first date. Our first date was actually a car show with the car that is now our racecar. And guess where we were? At the racetrack.

Instead of Love making the world go around...Wheels make our love go around...



Pacific Raceway...this weekend...about to go 148 mph

No comments: