18 October 2009

This Odd Request Made Possible by Facebook

I posted some pictures of Kevin's old cars for his friends to see on his facebook page. The years ranged from his first car to the car we have now. Of course, this also included cars from the time that he was previously married. A few days later we received the following:


Hi Kevin & Firegirl,

Thanks for putting up those pictures, I loved them. I don't have any old pictures because everything was stolen about 9yrs ago. Only ones I have relatives have given me. Do you by any chance have any of my Challenger? If you do please post them or send them to me. Actually any old pictures you might have of back in the day would you please send me copies? I know it is alot to ask and I know you guys are very busy, but if it is ok with firegirl and you guys get a chance I would really appreciate it. Have a great day. Dingbat

A few points:
We posted the pictures upon our Car Friends requests, not yours...you self-absorbed...never mind.
"everything was stolen about nine years ago". Translation: "I left everything behind nineTEEN years ago."
"I know it is alot to ask" (trying to ignore a grammatical error that irritates me) Um, yeah. A LOT to ask.
Dingbat is the nickname Kevin called her back-in-the-day, before being replaced by a less-affectionate name.

So...it's not like we have pictures of her hanging around. Those were banished by Kevin before I ever arrived on the scene. However, we do have a small box of pictures & momentos that I stashed away in case Kevin ever wanted them. At the time, he said something along the lines of "Don't keep those. Burn them in the yard." But I kept them without his knowledge just in case someday in the future he was feeling nostalgic.

My first response was two-fold. The first being "Really?" and the second being just the tiniest bit of sympathy. For all intents and purposes, she is now in her mid-forties and has seemingly realized just how badly she messed up her life.

This puts me in a weird place. Kevin would never, ever, ever, ever ask me to do this. In fact, there was a little bit of a meltdown that night after he read her message. He is rarely upset, very rarely has his feelings hurt. He was both that night. "She CHOSE to leave all those pictures behind because she DIDN'T WANT to be here anymore" was the main theme.

Later he relented and said to send pictures if *I* wanted to but to not go out of my way to do it. While he didn't say it outright, he doesn't want to see the pictures.

I've mulled it over the past few days and decided that I will email a handful of pictures. I will make it clear that it was ME that was doing this and that Kevin had nothing to do with the keeping of the pictures or held any interest in them. The only thing that I haven't decided is how to state "Don't ask again, for anything. Ever." without sounding like a jealous fishwife.

3 comments:

Not Your Aunt B said...

Is there anyway you could send her originals (or something that looked like originals versus copies) with a note that said, "Here. Have them. I don't want them- they're a bunch of trash to me. Firegirl secretly kept them and I don't want them in my house. Leave us alone now." from Kevin? That would get the point across. Just a thought.

And, the nerve. I cannot believe she asked. Things like that make me all uncomfortable- like opening Pandora's box- what crazy thing will she do next?

Swistle said...

I like NYAB's idea of sending her the box. It sounds like Kevin is never going to want them. If there's a way to be super-sure she knows it's not that KEVIN kept this little box of sentiment.

Firegirl said...

Yes, I think that IS a good idea. I'm going to ask for her addy and send it. Maybe by Singing Telegram: "This is from his Current Wife because you were Stuuuuupid and she's lovely...." cha cha cha. (:-D