20 October 2009

It's Me

It's me that he reaches for in his sleep. It's me that held his hand when he was sick. It's me that makes sure he has new Levis and sneakers. It's me that helped his parents downsize & move. It's me that makes sure he has grapes in his lunch every single day.

It was you that cheated, stole, and disappeared.

It was me that helped glue together the pieces of everything you destroyed. It's me who stays when he's sick. It's me that cheers for him when he does well. It's me that he calls when he's having a bad day. It's me that works to help his dreams become reality.

It was you that bailed when it got difficult and not fun.

It was me that built a home out of what you left behind. It was me that boxed up your stuff. It was me that put back together the man you tore apart. It was me that had to ride it out when you were the one he was really upset with. It was me that taught him that you loved him the only way you knew how.

It was me. Not you.

It's me that gets the joy of being his wife. It's me that gets flowers every birthday & anniversary. It's me that he takes on dates after nineteen years. It's me that he wakes up every morning with a backrub. It's me that he looks for in a crowd. It's me that he sings to.

It's me that wears his ring and carries his name. Not you.

3 comments:

Alice said...

maybe you can just send the ex that, instead of approving her friend request? ;-)

Firegirl said...

I really thought about sending this post to her, Alice! Especially after you commented.

We finally decided that I would respond with "Thank you for the request. However, it is not a good idea." and I did today.

Also, I'm not going to send pictures or any of the leftover stuff because we're worried that it will open a can of worms and/or worse: she'll think Kevin still cares.
Thanks!!!

Firegirl said...

Thanks Bea!