24 May 2009

A Portrait of my Mom

It occurred to me that I don't tell many Mom stories, although I have plenty. This one popped into my mind the other day:

Years ago, my parents went on a trip. Nothing too exciting, an old people trip to Reno.

My mom asked me to look in on the house. I don't remember how I was elected, as my brothers lived closer but I was.

"Just feed the birds and water the plants." she said. "It will only take a few minutes" she said.

They left a key for me....they never lock their house so a key has always been unnecessary for us kids.

But they failed to tell me which door the key went into. So, yes, I did catch the attention of the neighbors. (three doors, one on three sides)

Finally, I gain access to the house to find a long, handwritten note from my mom.

"Punkin..." (shut up, all of you)

"Feed the birds, this seed goes in this feeder, this seed goes into this feeder. etc.

Sweep up the mess off the deck from the feeders.

Don't forget the hummingbirds. The mix is in the refrigerator but let it warm up before putting it out.

Water the plants,

leave the mail on the counter,

another chore
another chore,
another chore,
another chore....

Make yourself a sandwich.

Love,

Mom"

1 comment:

Not Your Aunt B said...

Your mom could be my mom. Except she would put something on there too like...really consider talking to so-and-so as teaching is a noble profession and not as stressful as what you are doing now. Sweet memory, though.