05 October 2010

Not Your Whole Head

So, I had hives yesterday and part of Sunday.

Turns out that hives were the symptom, not the cause of my woes. An alleged spider bite is what the problem is. I have a red, swollen patch on my head, just at the hairline where my bangs are. Super attractive.

I thought perhaps that it was a bug bite but I couldn't find a...doctor's words, not mine...point of entry. When I woke up this morning with my head on fire, I gave in and went to the doctor.

Of course my doctor is on vacation so I got one of the other doctors in the practice. He had a Greek-like accent and I am not sure he got my humor. Until I asked the doctor "This means my head won't fall off, right?" Without missing a beat he replied "Not your whole head."

He was unconcerned with the bug bite until I mentioned that I had lumps on the back of my head. Turns out those aren't lumps but angry lymph nodes. These unhappy lumps earned me an antibiotic.

Now this is where you would hear the record scratch if this was a television show.

I am allergic to many antibiotics: penicillin, zirthromax, and sulfa meds. So that totally threw down a challenge for the doctor. He chose something I hadn't heard of that is guaranteed to upset my stomach. Win Win for me.

The good news is that I can now see the point of entry and my head is no longer on fire. I think by tomorrow I will be fine.

I did ask the bedbug question you all are thinking of and no, not even.

Here is the re-enactment that Kevin has chosen: I walked through a spider web, caught him in my hair, he went for a ride, got hungry and decided that he was hungry. As I am hard-headed, he deemed me non-edible and jumped off without my knowledge.

This is a little more pleasant to think about than a man-eating spider hiding amongst the pillows on our bed.

You're welcome for that visual. Sleep well.

3 comments:

Swistle said...

"Not your whole head"---I love him.

creative kerfuffle said...

gah! thank jeebus it wasn't that big assed black widow i posted on fb that took a bite of you. in general i am not skittish over bugs, but spiders crawling on me, or the thought of it, freaks me the hell out. we have wolf spiders in the house in the winter, but you usually see them scurrying across the den floor.

Melina said...

"he deemed me inedible"

he he he.....

melina
http://www.thewildercoast.com