15 November 2010

Non-Extreme Makeover Laundry Room Edition

The one room I'm still not crazy about is the our laundry room. It's an odd room with three doors and an alcove to hold the washer & dryer. It's also dark, with no windows. There aren't any outlets other than the ones dedicated for the appliances. And overhead lighting. Hate that.

Eventually I want to get a new door with a window. Until then, I am trying to figure out what to do. A magazine suggested putting a motion detector light above the appliances but that seems like a comedy of fails.

I used a flat bedsheet to hide the appliances in the alcove. It bothered me too much that the first thing someone would see is appliances and laundry and clutter. Pretty non-descript but it fills a purpose for now.


Bored, and clearly feeling better, I switched it to this:

Then we have this strange little table to hold the keys. Well, an old glass bowl holds our keys. Kevin has elebenty hundred flashlights and he uses the ugliest one he can find.

The table & chair are from the in-laws old house. The picture I have had for years & years. Kevin added the bells during my first attempt at jingle bells on the door last year. I added the leaves the other day, on clearance at Fred Meyers. And that stupid flag.



Not many changes here. I changed the chair cushion cover. Added a plant and Kevin's latest trophy. I put away one of the coats that he never wears. When I find a suitable replacement for the flag, I will probably put that coat away. (it's a faux vintage coat that is similar to ones worn in American Graffiti)

Now, this room needs to be painted. Mostly because of Missy. She HAS TO BE OUTSIDE before you in case someone left a steak outside on the porch and you can get it before her because OMG OMG OMG Let me outside.

Thus the dirt on the wall next to the door. Effing dog.


By the way, all the stuff you see is either second-hand, gifts, or purchased with gift cards. Because that's how I roll.

So, campers, what color should I paint this room? All the walls or just the ones that have doorways?

2 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

i'm guessing this is your entryway? you've got a lot going on there. does it open up into the living room? our entryway was the first room we painted when we moved here 8 yrs ago---deep, deep red, almost a purplish red. i loved it then and still do. i think if your's opens into other rooms or shares walls w/ other rooms you have to consider that. that flag has GOT TO GO! LOL

Surely said...

Oh, yes. Details: This is the backdoor (by the rock garden) that we use the mostest. It is a room that has a doorway to the kitchen on the right (standing in the doorway) and the Common Folk Bathroom on the left. It's kind of a big hallway, I guess.