13 November 2010

Gifts Grinch

Of course everyone is beginning to think about Christmas shopping. You are, right?

My little brother shot the first salvo this year. "Do you guys want to choose names for Christmas?"

Looking at the text, looking at the calendar, looking at the text again. "Wha?"

Okay, *cracking of neck* First off, Little Brother: You have more money than any of us, you loser.

Second off, in my humble opinion, nothing says Grinch like choosing names in a family setting unless it is by necessity.

I did what every little sister does: I told Mom.

The Mom's reaction was similar to mine. "What is he talking about?"

Now, on Kevin's side of the family Christmases have always been extravagant. I have to admit as exhausting as it is, it is quite enjoyable. This year, we have had a few changes. We have five additional children. We've all reached the stage of having everything that we need. These are all joyful changes.

My family has always been low key. Homemade presents are okay, nothing more than $30, and always more focus on the nieces than the adults. This year, there is even one less present to buy. (Yes, I went there. I made a Dead Dad joke)

The compromise is couples gifts and gifts for the youngest niece because she is only fifteen. And my mom. How do you not give a mom/grandma/widow a Christmas gift? It just seems mean.

So now I have to think of couples gifts. This is almost worse than choosing names.

Have you started shopping yet?

3 comments:

Swistle said...

Ack, couple gifts! Yes, those are hard. They almost always end up being more for one person than for the other, and/or they have to be, like, a tin of expensive cookies.

Jennifer said...

I am one of those annoying people who shops throughout the year. I see something, think it would be perfect for whoever, and get it. So when Christmas time rolls around, I just have to look through the gifts and fill in the holes, if any.

creative kerfuffle said...

this is the reason christmas is not my favorite time of the year. i love it, but it's not my fave simply because of the gift dilemma. this year, since me, my sil and my sister are all unemployed we're forgoing gifts altogether. the last few years we drew names, mostly out of financial necessity, and i hated it. if i could just buy for the people i want to buy for it would be much simpler. couples gifts---ah--gift cards to something they both enjoy? movies? coffee? restaurant? if they love to cook what about a cool cookbook and a few ingredients? wine if they are wine drinkers. i don't know.
i've started shopping for my kids and the hubs, pretty much the only ones we're buying for this year.