11 July 2019

Jittery Hot Mess

I am never going to stop coughing.  This is it for me. I'm Typhoid Mary.  Totally melodramatic but that's how I'm feeling this morning.  I'm on Day Three of an inhaler and while I'm marginally better, I am a JITTERY HOT MESS.  (sidebar: don't trim your bangs when you've just taken a hit of steroids. I'm just saying)

On Sunday night Kevin lost his patience, which is rare and asked told me to go to the doctor.  I told him I would, which was kind of a lie.  Then as I dragged my hacking self into work, my coworker gave me the same speech.

So, off to the urgent care I went.  I've never gone because I'm never sick but it was remarkably easy. 

I felt like I was being melodramatic with the whole coughing, not being able to speak thing but the doctor was a little "And you're sure you feel okay?"  I was on the verge of an ear infection, on top of everything else.  Because, why not?

They gave me a nebulizer treatment right there.  No negotiation.  That's when I realized that maybe I'd waited too long.  "This should help and if it does, we'll give you an inhaler. If it doesn't, then we'll worry about that then."  SUPER.

The cute Samoan guy nurse set it up and said "This will make you jittery so don't panic."  I'm all "Pssh, it will be fine."

Dude, it was not fine.  My hands were shaking so hard I had difficulty keeping the nebulizer wand in my mouth.   Hello person who never takes medicine: Meet Steroids.  Sweet tiny baby jesus.

Thankfully/horrifyingly the nebulizer worked.  I started coughing so hard that I feared for the worst but it was a good coughing.  The doctor returned and I coughed out "Inhaler, please." and he laughed.

Then, because I'm not quite glued to the ceiling yet, they gave me a shot glass of steroids.  "It's going to taste terrible" the cute nurse said.  I channeled my inner Irish heritage and tossed it back.  Yep, terrible but no worse than Nyquil.  "Now, that's going to continue to make you jittery."

At this point, I wondered about driving because I was like a crack whore, sniffling and shaking.  I was texting Kevin during but had to stop because my fingers wouldn't cooperate.  Probably for the best.

Yeah, we're not normal. ("herps"=herpes, a long running joke) 

I'm on the inhaler until it's gone so that's fun.  Jittery all the time.  Kevin's out of town now so I have to be the responsible adult.  Which means not trimming my bangs or  using any of my fine motor skills, really. 

No comments: