09 July 2019

In the Words of Michael Scott

Kevin and I play a game quite frequently and yes, we are fifteen year old boys.  If you have ever watched The Office, you're aware of That's What She Said.  It's just flexible enough to make something funny while not being overly crass.

It's silly and juvenile and it makes me laugh every time.  What's funny about it, to me, is that we can play it around his family and nearly ALWAYS get away with it.  We were having dinner just the other night and I said it while sitting next to his mom and sister-in-law.  It went over both of their heads. I doubt they've seen the show and if we're being honest, they're just not that quick.

And his brother hates inside jokes. Hates.Them.  He not only doesn't like that Kevin and I have any sort of connection, he also assumes that we're talking about him.  It's not nice of me but I just have no patience with that nonsense.

We've played it at my family until the nieces were old enough to understand.  I can't remember which one of them stopped, laughed, and said "Did you just say 'That's What She Said'?"  Kevin won't play there anymore because he's a grown-up, but I still do.

Niece was the first to catch the hashtag and react

It often puts Kevin in an impossible situation.  I'll say it quietly so no one else can hear or say it in such an inappropriate setting that he's aghast.  Again: I say it quietly and almost all the time, only to him.  Like a sniper.

I'll do it in front of his best friend and Kevin will usually just reply "you tramp" which then cues the best friend that the game is on.

I consider it karma for times like his non-explanation of why he was late to work the other morning. And I know that I have karma waiting for me.  But it will give me a great story.










1 comment:

Swistle said...

Favorite part: "Again: I say it quietly and almost all the time, only to him. Like a sniper."