13 July 2019

Don't Call Me Honey

There's a waitress at a restuarant that we regularly go to.  For whatever reason,  it bothers Kevin greatly that she's the kind of waitress who uses "Honey" and "Sweetie" while waiting on us.  I mean, seriously annoys him.

I know that's a thing in life that bothers people. It just doesn't bother me.  (I hate when people use my name because they read my nametag or whatever and we haven't been introduced. That's my thing.)

Anyway.  It bothers him.  A. Lot.  and it makes me laugh because it's a relatively silly thing to spin out about.

Kevin's mom is friends with his ex-wife on the facebook.  They were very close while they were married and this has never bothered me.  She posted something to the mother-in-law's page the other day and I knew she'd never see it.

So, I gave Kevin a heads-up to let his mom know that his former wife had sent his mother something. And that she needed to actually respond to her.  We are putting aside the conversation that "Facebook is broken" according to his mother right now for the sake of this story.

It occurred to me that now might be a good time for Kevin to let his ex-wife know that his mom is in failing health and if she wanted to call or visit, time is of the essence.  Heavy sigh from Kevin because this means actual communication with her and just the brutal truth of the situation.

He doesn't have her number anymore and back when he did have it, it was listed as "Rhonda. DO NOT ANSWER" in his phone directory.  So he messaged her on the social media.  (he's friends with her but has her muted)  "Call me when you get a minute."   Three...Two...One...

And she calls.

He explained  the situation and she appreciated the call.  When he suggested that if she was ever going to visit (which means, by the way, coming to OUR HOUSE) she needed to do it soon.
Of course she can't because a thousand reasons, including poor health, PTSD from a car crash, money, etc.

"There it is" his best friend replied while hearing this story.  The stark reminder in a five minute conversation why they're no longer married.

But the Piece de Resistance - for me - was she is one of THOSE.  "Hun." "Babe" "Sweetie"

He said it took everything in him not to tell her to stop.  Couple reasons: He hates it. They're not married. He's So Not a honey,baby,sweetie guy.   I don't usually call him any of those unless I'm being particularly sassy.







No comments: