15 March 2022

These Aren't Socks

 Yesterday was Monday.  And I mean, it was like Garfield level Monday.  Usually this particular time change doesn't bother me but whew, it did this year.  Because why not, nothing matters anymore.

I needed to work and I needed to finish the hallway project.  Those were my two objectives.

Instead, I napped.  

Eventually I did a little work and worked on the photo part of the hallway project.

Then we went for walkies, in which this is the second time Lucy has decided it's Anarchy Day with not following commands.  It's not terrible, it's just unusual.  I think what I'm seeing is Old Dog Behavior and I'm not here for it.

Upon returning home, my next job is to solve the issues with the parents insurance and meds.

Again, I will shout from the rooftop that Pill Pack via Amazon is the only way to go with elderly parents prescriptions.  The customer service is beyond fantastic.

Like us, the Pill Pack friends are puzzled why the parents need an "extra" refill of pills.  We went through all of the events in the last sixty days and their notes matched my notes.  So that's both good and bad.

Also, Kevin's mom told him earlier today that there was an extra charge from Pill Pack in December.  So I asked.  They listed the amounts and because I don't pay their bills, I'm not certain but it sounded correct.

So, we're "done" with the pill issue.

Then I phoned the insurance company but because I didn't think about time, they were closed.   Then I phoned the "food" company and I should have just begun there anyway.  While the insurance company has been billed for her "food", they don't have her new insurance on file.  Because no one let them know.  (it didn't occur to me, I've added it to the growing list)  

Now I have to go over their house to get the insurance cards and it is absolutely pouring rain.  I explained to the customer service person that it would be a minute and I could phone back or they could hold.  They chose hold.  I explained that when I get over there, it will be momentary chaos as they have that stupid puppy and the television will be on SHOUT and they will be surprised that I'm there.

All of those things happened.  Back out into the rain I go and scurry home.

But now the "food" place has the new insurance and they're good to go.  There is not outstanding bill.  Whew.

This prompted me to create an online account for the insurance so I don't have to play this game on an endless loop.

Next, I phoned Kevin to say a) her food is paid for and 2) I can't even with her meds.

"Why don't you wait to talk to them until I get home"  Oh thank you, Kevin. Good man right there.

"Because I'm not even sure what is happening." he says.  "ME TOO" I say.

Then a little spark went off in my head, in a good way.

I opened the bloggity and my email and created a timeline.  I took notes on a small legal pad and next thing I know, I'm four pages in.  Somehow seeing it written out in a list hit me that this is a MESS. I mean, I knew that but looking at pages of notes really brought it home.

They so don't have this.

Kevin came home soaking wet and tired but he headed over there with me.  We can see immediately that the mom was starting to spin out.  This is where Kevin shines.  "Mom, just stop." he'll tell her.  

I started with the easy part first: explaining that the food thing wasn't an issue and not to worry about it. I don't think they understood any of it but we left it at "You don't owe anyone money."

Now onto the meds.  

I started with the money part.  And Kevin's mom looks confused.  She has no idea what I'm talking about.  All I did was look at Kevin and raise an eyebrow and a sweep of my hand to say "This is what happens..."

Kevin turns to her and says "You told me this morning that Pill Pack took out like $40 extra and would Surely look into it?"  She has ZERO recollection of that. Kevin was quiet for a beat and just emotionlessly said "Okay"

I explained that Pill Pack will be sending another shipment and it should be arriving in two days.  Further, that it would remain incomplete because a) they should have sixty days left of the other pills and 2) my f-i-l had pills refilled at the Pharmacy.  AND, AND, they had ordered an "extra" complete Pill Pack because they didn't trust the pill dispenser that I had spent hours fixing, that was FULL of two weeks worth of pills.

According to all of the records in all of the places, they should have plenty of meds.

Every time this subject comes up, Kevin's dad always gets up to go through the medicine cupboard.  So here's the funny part: he has a riser chair so we have to wait for it to help him stand.  Kevin, not realizing this, is all "What are you doing?"  then realized and went quiet.  I turned toward the kitchen because I started to laugh. 

He begins to show me the shoebox of meds, and the Pill Pack from Oct/Nov that is spoiled (and now expired but whatevs).  Somehow they don't have ANY current Pill Packs and I couldn't get a clear answer WHY.  Luckily, there's one arriving in two days so I had to let that go.

But the f-i-l insists that he's out of a specific medicine.  "That's the medicine that the other company sent."  "Yes, and it looks different and I can't tell which one it is."  Umm, wut.  I admit my brain went into shutdown mode with that one.

Around and around we went about There Should Be Plenty of Pills.  Finally I asked "Where is the pills from the dispenser that you didn't use?"  Silence.  Ummmm....   Finally, he explains that he's been using pills from it to fill in what is "missing".  That's why he can't tell.

Now I'm a little huffy "This is where you ask for HELP because I can FIX that." and I brought up photos of the pill on my phone.  

Then I just looked at Kevin and shook my head.  "I don't know what to do."

Kevin tried again.  He reiterated that they should have all the pills and extra.  He explained that the Pill Pack folks have no reason to lie. "Well, they could have made a mistake" the m-i-l says a little huffily.  "Yes, they could but it's unlikely.  These are PILLS, not socks." I say.

Then she says that they'll just keep working on it and maybe they'll call the pharmacy or the doctor to get more.  Kevin and I simultaneously said "NO" then he let me continue "Because if you do that, this will NEVER BE FIXED.  It will just keep perpetuating until one of us dies."  

AND THEN because she isn't "winning" we get the plaintive "I just wish I didn't take all these meds"  To which Kevin, who has clearly had enough, says "And we wouldn't have to worry about this in a few days because you will be dead."  

Again, I have my emotional responses mixed and instead of wincing, I giggled.  It's okay, I don't think they noticed.

This doesn't thwart her, she's in it now:  "Well, I'm sure that Dad is ready for that."  Oh c'mon.  I would like to thank the Academy for this most melodramatic response ever award.

Kevin just looked at her and said "STOP it."

"OKAY" I say louder than I meant to  "The next shipment of Pill Pack will be here in two days.  You should have plenty of medicine to make this work.  There is nothing else I can do."    We agree to shelve this for a few days.

You thought we were done, didn't you?

"Well, she goes to the doctor tomorrow and when they change her medicine, Pill Pack will be all screwed up AGAIN because they can't change it that fast."

My head on a swivel, I asked the mom "Are they likely to change the medicine?"  "They could" she replies poutily and I'm making way to the door.

Kevin says "Wait, what are you even being seen for?"

"I'm going in the tube" she says.

Kevin looks at me and I said "MRI? CAT scan?"  The mother nods.

He sighs and says "I doubt that the radiologist will change your meds right there.  BUT if they do, you stop them and have them call Surely so it's not a mess."

My f-i-l interjects that THEY could just tell the doctor.  I explained "Then tell them that they need to give you a 10-30 pill prescription for the pharmacy AND another prescription for Pill Pack."  

He's stumped.  Kevin says "Just have them call Surely."

This is where I say this is just a synopsis. There's a whole soliloquy from Kevin about how I always say that there are three sides to every story: one side, the other side and the actual truth.  He continues that it's difficult for me when they can't provide good information and become defensive and there's only so much I can do when the company disagrees with what the parents are saying.

Or that when I went to get the insurance cards, the f-i-l "jokingly" says "Oh we threw all of those away."  I couldn't even acknowledge him.  Kevin though, he said "C'mon, you have to admit that was a little funny.  A little funny that he thought he was being "funny"."  

OR that when we went to leave, the m-i-l said "Well don't leave right away, you can stay and visit."  I thought Kevin was going to burst into tears "Mom, I have been on my feet for twelve hours, we haven't had dinner and now it's late.  We can't stay."   His dad interjects "And Surely worked all day too!"  to which I just solemnly nodded, trying not to laugh.



No comments: