07 September 2010

Lloyd Dobbler was Right

Any American girl who was alive in the late 80's can most likely quote from the movie "Say Anything."

Do you remember the scene where Lloyd is talking to his friends about having sex? He says something along the line of "It doesn't matter what happens, one day, years later, you will look at that person and think "We had sex."

Kevin and I have been together twenty years next month. Twenty. Years. I know I've tossed that number out there a few times but it is still staggering to me. And yes, sometimes I do find myself thinking just like Lloyd said.

We were cracking up the other day after having three uninterrupted mornings to ourselves. Kevin said something that reminded me of a story:

About three years ago, I came home late from work on a Friday night. Friday nights we usually go out to dinner as a family. For whatever reason, I had had it Up To Here with the Fam. I looked at Kevin and said:

"I will sleep with you every single night this week if we don't have to go to dinner with the family."

We so didn't go to dinner that night.

Kevin giggled at that like a teenaged boy when I mentioned it. Because no matter how old we get or how long we've been together, every once in a while we will notice the other and think "We've had sex."

1 comment:

creative kerfuffle said...

i effing love that movie, the music and lloyd. my fave quote is when the dad asks him what he wants to do in life and he says i I don't want to sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. You know, as a career, I don't want to do that.
i always have to look up exactly how he said it, but the gist of it is always always in my mind.
and--i often look at the hubs and think--really? i've known you and basically been w/ you (mostly) since i turned 15? really? wow.