17 September 2010

Yearbook

This is my third grade picture. Anyone who knows me will pick me out instantly by two features: glasses & the head-tilt.

I am friends on the facebook with about half of the people in this picture. To me, that's the best part of facebook. There were positive comments all around when I posted it and tagged people. It was really fun to read. I chose this picture because we're all still pretty small, cute, and hadn't broken into cliques yet.

At this school, BFF C was in another class but we'd see each other occasionally. I still drive by this school on the way to the parents house. It hasn't changed much, actually. I also think about stopping by to walk around but just never have. I've been to my other grade school, which has been extensively remodeled so it doesn't quite feel the same.

I've also been back to high school. The first time it was still the same and was fun to reminisce. The second time it had been remodeled and felt a little strange. I could tell where I was but everything was different. On some level, I am a little disappointed that it is so different.

The high school made a video for school pride months ago and I posted it here. Someone asked me about a room in the video and I commented "Oh, that's the principals office. Erm, well, not that I had ever been in there." Twenty three years later and it was still mildly embarrassing that I had been in the principal's office.

My mom always said "Write down your friends names" on the pictures because time will pass and I wouldn't remember. I couldn't imagine not remembering my friends names. Luckily, I have a Rainman kind of brain when it comes to names so I have, at least, the first names of all the kids.

I miss not having class pictures, yearbooks, or portraits. Life goes by so quickly and changes so often and we just don't have the same memories we did as children. If we had some sort of system, it would be nice to be able to look back. Even the people you didn't like because then you'd be able to say "Gah, remember her? we hated her!" Or in many households, it is always the same person taking the pictures. I have plenty pictures of Kevin but there are few of me.

My overall point being: I guess that's what Facebook has become. A giant, ever changing, yearbook.

(P.S. I am the second from the left, bottom row.)

2 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

OK,whose the dish 5th from the left,2nd row,in red.:)Are you from a military family,hands by your side,2nd finger on the seams.I only have 1 photo of myself,in Henry V costume,not the armour though.That would be 1990.

creative kerfuffle said...

i am also the picture taker and there are few good pictures of me around. the kids take pics, but they don't take GOOD pics necessarily so i delete the ones they take that i hate : )