06 September 2010

Adapted

I have been in movie watching mode lately. I've watched everything from Lifetime movies to online movies to newer movies. I am currently immersed into hour four of Ally McBeal marathon on my dvr.

I emphasize my continual complaint about movie reviewers. I've watched two movies, that while not tremendous works of art, weren't as horrible as the reviewers said.

Anyone with a dysfunctional family will understand the point of Four Christmases.
What About the Morgans was totally predictable but I still liked it. Sam Elliott FTW.
New in Town was the movie I mentioned the other day. I don't remember it even being in the theatres at all. Again, predictable rom-com but I liked it. I will watch it again.
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, however, should have never been made. Overcooked is how I would describe it.

I watched Clive Barker not being an assassin today in The Boys are Back. It's set in Australia and is not a thriller. Beautifully shot and not melodramatic at all.

We watched the mini-series Pillars of the Earth on STARZ. Holy WOW I loved it. I want to own it. I've watched the finale three times now. I didn't even realize that it was an Oprah Book Club choice until it was all over and done. I won't read the book because I loved the series so much.

Which leads me to The Time Travelers Wife, which is to my right in a stack of books that I haven't read yet. I enjoyed the movie but now I'm curious about the book.

What books have you seen made into movies & thought they got it right?

4 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

Hi,FG.Not being funny but,do you mean books I've read that were later made into films.

creative kerfuffle said...

i really have trouble w/ movies that are adapted from books. if i see the movie before i read the book i cannot go back and read the book. i read the time traveler's wife and haven't seen the movie. the book was good, i liked it a lot. lovely bones--great read but the movie was horrible. i am reading eat pray love right now (haven't seen the movie). the only stephen king books i've also loved as movies are shawshank redeption, the green mile and the shining.
the only redeeming thing about ghosts of girlfriends past was matthew. hotty. i'd watch him dig a ditch i don't care.

Surely said...

@Grey Ghost...Yes,books that have been made into movies.

@CK...Time Travelers Wife, I think I want to read it to get a little more depth actually.

Yes, Matthew. His laugh makes me laugh. I love Jennifer Garner too but the storyline was so just bleh.

Grey Ghost said...

If I read the book first the films never as good,if I liked the book of course.
The Name of The Rose was different though,as was,84 Charing Cross Road.But then Anne Bancroft was something else.