04 September 2010

Click..Whir...Click...Whir...

I am longing for the days of rotary phones. I know some of you think those weren't ever actually in use but they were. My parents had one of those heavy, black ones and I loved it. If we had a landline, I would totally buy one of those retro phones. The click-whir sound they made was awesome.


I miss landline telephones actually. I used to have a white one that was so cozy to talk on, you could spend an hour and not feel all achy and sore.


Everything is cellular based now though. Kevin needed a new cell phone so that was the first thing that we did today. Well, not the first thing. hahahaha. Sorry. I had to say it.


The intention was for Kevin to get a new phone. I was still happy with mine even though it is looking a little banged up and the battery was losing it's steam. I get attached to my phones. I still have on in my desk drawer that I can't bear to part with.

I do miss the sound and feel of hanging up a phone, either landline or flip phone. There are few things more satisfying than a good slam of a phone.


Again, I am off topic. Big shock.


I hate the advertised prices vs. actual prices and the Buy One, Get One Free deals, and rebates. One of Kevin's coworkers had just gotten a new phone and proclaimed it the Best Deal Ever.


Of course, the salepeople don't offer this up right away. Have I mentioned how much I dislike salespeople? I have a low tolerance for pushy people. However, if you are a good salesperson, I will be your best friend.


After the second try, we got a good salesman. We bought two phones today, which after the rebates are paid will mean we paid $50 for two phones. The phones are a little more than I bargained for: DROIDS.


I fear that these phones are smarter than me. I fear that they are going to reprogram the DVR while we're sleeping to record only the Jetsons. Or that the microwave and the ice machine are going to decide that they need to swap duties.


Figuring out these phones has been so frustrating. Kevin mentioned no less than four times putting them under the truck tires to "test their endurance". Lucky for us, the Nephew will be visiting tomorrow and his sole purpose will be to "pimp our phones."


The salesman only made one fatal mistake: he brought out the covers for the phones. A black one for Kevin and a PINK one for me. He didn't even set it on the counter before I said "Don't think for one second that I want a pink cover."

I have one that matches the racecar instead. A very sporty red one. So even if I can't work my doggone phone, it looks cool.


Welcome to the Future.


((PS...then my internet froze upon trying to post this so I've clearly pissed off the Electrical Gods...sorry about the late post))

3 comments:

Grey Ghost said...

I have a late 50s Danish phone,it makes a low clicking noise when you dial,just like your old American phones did.

creative kerfuffle said...

i miss those landlines too. i can still hear the sound my grandparent's phone made when you dialed it. one phone, in the dining room (which was between the kitchen and opened into the living room) so there was no chance ever of having a personal call. my other grandma's hung in the kitchen and had the LONGEST cord ever. i think you could be in any room of her house and talk on that phone. usually if you wanted privacy you went to the utility room w/ it.

Grey Ghost said...

Memories,memories.To paraphrase a song from Gigi.
Are you getting old.
Oh no,not you.