23 December 2010

All the Stockings are Hung

I set the bar really high for myself this year. I have the intention of giving brownies to my family this year. I have 1.5 batches done. I need three. Note the use of the word "intention."

This is why I don't bake. I don't have the attention span nor patience for it. I just don't. I will, however, give myself credit for beginning tonight versus tomorrow. I am sure the stores won't be sold out of brownies tomorrow if things go horribly awry.

First batch went well. Second batch remains undetermined. There may be egg shell. There may be a funky crust due to a momentary lapse of eggs post-pouring of the batter causing a remix. Batch three is in the oven.

Luckily, thankfully, strangely, the radio station suddenly kicked the holiday up a notch: Step into Christmas by Elton John, I Want a Hippopotamus, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by Barenaked Ladies, and We Need A Little Christmas by GLEE. This happy little soundtrack kept me from feeding the #$&()@#&%( brownies to the dog.

Meanwhile, Kevin is out shopping with his brother so that guarantees he's having less fun than I am. His brother is a horrible shopper. H.O.R.R.I.B.L.E.

On a happy note, all presents but the Pillow Pets are wrapped. They are waiting for Kevin because I know that kind of wrapping is beyond my paygrade.

So, tomorrow will find me watching Christmas movies & specials all the live-long day.

Tell me, dear ones, What's your favorite Christmas song?

3 comments:

Swistle said...

"Beyond my paygrade"---ha ha ha!

It is SO too bad we don't live closer: I could come to your house and bake brownies in your kitchen, which I believe would make them "from you," or at least if anyone asked if you made them you could answer "They were made in my own kitchen!" and they'd take that as a yes.

I like Winter Wonderland, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (as long as it's sung fast enough---some singers slow that one wayyyyyyy down until it's comically slow), Hippopotamus, a bunch of others that I'd hear and then say to you "Oh yeah, and that one!"

Madly said...

I love Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses. Nothing beats that one.

Other runners up:
All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey
Same Auld Lang Syne by Dan Fogelberg
Last Christmas by Wham

I like my Christmas songs angsty and/or with a rockin' '80s beat.

creative kerfuffle said...

i cannot even begin to list all of my favorite christmas songs. i have cds of the christmas records we listened to when i was growing up (johnny cash, mitch miller, andy williams) and some more recent ones; i've always loved alabama's christmas in dixie; love the soundtrack to the charlie brown christmas. lots and lots. and..my mom got the kids pillow pets (cos i told her too) and they love them : )