11 December 2010

Lights of Christmas

Last night we went on our first family outing with all the kids. It was so much fun, I can't even put it into words.

First off, five kids...two of whom are identical...are busy. They were perfect angels the entire time, not hardly a fuss from any of them. They are polite and confident, without being precocious. Miss Thing, the youngest triplet and only girl, is in charge. She had the grown up boys following her every command. Sweetest thing to watch, ever.

After pizza and soda, we went to the Lights of Christmas which is at a multipurpose camp not far from Kevin's work. A group of volunteers put out over 1 million lights and displays that actually requires a map & few hours to see.

There is so much to see that it is difficult to take it all in, even for the adults. Kevin & I found ourselves repeatedly saying "Look up" and "Did you see the..." I've included the video below, even though it doesn't quite grasp how the lights look. The video focuses on the churchy displays but trust me there is so much more.

I know that the triplets favorite colors are pink, blue, and green. I know that one of the trips says "I'm scared" when he means he's embarrassed. I know that the eldest is wise beyond his years and trying not to let anyone know. I know that the middle needs a little more care in drawing out. I asked him how he thought the lights got up into the trees and he shrugged. "Ladders? Or did they throw them up there? Did monkeys do it?" I asked him. He looked at me incredulously and shook his head. "I don't think monkeys can do that" he said with just a little doubt in his voice.

Kevin and I haven't had many opportunities to be around young children together. After twenty years together we've experienced most everything with each other. To be able to watch him hold Miss Thing's hand, pose for silly pictures, and lift the Trips up to see things and make the older boys laugh was the best gift I could ever ask for.

Five little kids and a whole lot of lights just made Christmas bright.




1 comment:

creative kerfuffle said...

oh, i am so happy you got to experience that. really. being around kids, especially little ones that sound as cute and sweet as the ones you're around, really can flip that magical switch of the christmas spirit kind. we have a light thing like this here too, but it's a drive through, not walk through type of place. we may be going tonight. : )