08 December 2010

You Complete Me

Someone has been taking up space in my head and I was beginning to get frustrated. Oddly, it was my ex-husband. Before you go all *gasp*, let me clarify...

Every once in a while a character will form in my head and rent an apartment. I've moved a few characters onto the old computer to get them out of my head. Then they languish on the hard drive, waiting for me to return and complete them, in the parlance of Jerry McGuire. But until I pack them up & move them out, they take up space. It's a relief to write it all down so I can reclaim that corner of my brain.

I like to think of names for characters, give them characteristics or habits, create the life they might live. It's like a grown-up version of playing house.

The fun part of this is that it isn't the real version of the former husband. It's like an alternative version. A future version. And it has nothing to do with reconciliation or anything like that because that is so not going to happen.

I have no idea what he looks like now. I haven't seen him in about twenty years...so weird...I have no information at all about his life. The person in my head is pure speculation and imagination. It's entertainment.

I can make him bald. I can make him nicer. I can change words that were said. I can visit karma upon him at my own discretion.

This new resident is an example of why I like this quote so much:

“Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.” E.L. Doctorow

1 comment:

creative kerfuffle said...

i love that quote too. i'd love to hear about this alter character : )