08 February 2011

Freedom

We were watching a television show that featured a lottery winner.  A big winner: $100 million, not a weasly little $1 million or $10 million but a couldn't-possibly-spend-it amount.

Everyone was speculating what they would do or buy with the money.  Most of them were big ticket items: a boat, a car, a mansion.

I would make sure that my family was taken care of, for sure.  Like Kevin said a person couldn't enjoy their windfall if  they knew their loved ones were struggling.  So that would be a given: pay their mortgage, their bills, and make sure they have good cars.  Also, make it clear that it's a one time deal to keep the worst of people away.

Kevin said that he would like to race for a career, which would also fulfill my dreams of travel & roadtrips.

I don't know what I would wish for.  A condo in Las Vegas, I suppose.  A house near BFF K. I am just not a caviar dreams kind of girl.

Then the character talked about the freedom that wealth would give you. Money would allow you to pursue your dream or hobby.  Like Kevin said he would do: he would race for a living.  I would write and travel and chill.

The money isn't attractive to me per se, or the things that money would buy.  It's the time and freedom that is enticing to me.  That's what  I want.

So dear poppets, what  would you do with lottery winnings?

2 comments:

creative kerfuffle said...

this has always been a fun topic for the hubs and i over the years. we've talked about remodeling the house, but i think i'd just build my dream house. we'd also help out family and some friends; set up college funds and enjoy the freedom and worry-free life. we'd travel, possibly have a beach or mountain getaway. i would love to set up a charity. i'm w/ you...it's not the money per se, it would be the freedom and what i could do w/ it.

Swistle said...

I love this topic. Yes, first paying off debt and helping family, and I like your idea of making it clear it's one-time. I think we'd stay in our house because I really love it, but we could do all the improvements at once: all new windows! remodel the 1960 kitchen! better insulation!

I would hire someone to clean for me, and I might hire someone to organize for me.

I would eat out a lot more often: I LOVE to eat out. I'd get flowers more often: I LOVE flowers.

I would put aside big chunks for the kids' college, and for retirement, and for my parents' old age (in case they could benefit from extra nursing care or a maid or whatever).

And I don't know what else! I'd probably do a few Big Treat things, like I'd love to have a piece of Real Jewelry, and I'd like to take some trips. It would be really fun to take a few friends on a trip!