10 October 2019

Just Take A Beat

I could feel it coming and hoped to avoid it.  The crash.  You know: the crash when things are busy and crazy and your head is full?  Last time I had this feeling, I ended up with pneumonia. (not recommended)  So I've already crossed that off my list of things to do.   

As discussed ad nauseam here, the in-laws are just So Much. This week's disaster was that their pill packs had drawn moisture and were ruined.  After an email and a phone call to the company (who was wonderful, btw) it was discovered that they were pills over 90 days old.   Because: reasons. (not the company's fault at all)

Then my work has just been ceaseless this term.  Instead of getting to the top of the mountain and coasting down, there's just another mountain.  Thank dog for my office where I can close the door, play inappropriate-for-work music, and get it done.

Meanwhile, I kept putting off going to the chiropractor, until I couldn't.  The issue with going to the chiropractor is it's in my old work city so it's not convenient.  So here was my opportunity:

I took the morning off so I could sleep in and go.  Well, sleep in until Kevin called three times because he knew I was home.  (Mostly valid reasons but we still want to kick him)

I drove north, which is so much more pretty than the drive south; especially in the Fall with the changing leaves.

I got coffee at my old favorite coffee stand

I had every joint I own relocated.

While in town, I thought about stopping to see a friend for a minute.  Then as nice as that sounds, I kind of just needed Quiet more.

Instead, I took the scenic route through town and to work.  It runs along the bay/Salish Sea/ocean from one county to another.  (Chuckanut Drive)  I took a ton of photos, pulled off and breathed a few times, and just relaxed.

The nice part of this drive is that there isn't always cell phone service.  A person doesn't realize how exhausting it can be to HAVE to have your phone with you 24/7.

Now I have a relatively easy day at work and because of flex time I don't have to make up the hours. I left a few minutes early and spent time with my bff. I feel exponentially better than yesterday, just by taking some time.

The point of this is that as trite as it sounds: self care is a thing.  A necessary thing.  I read not long ago how self care is a privileged thing, as in not something that everyone can do.  I understand that not everyone can afford to take time off, or buy a coffee, or whatever.

But you can take a moment to just breathe.  Take the long way home.  Play your favorite music. Just take a beat.


1 comment:

Swistle said...

Favorite part: "(Mostly valid reasons but we still want to kick him)"