24 October 2019

Why Coffee is Important

I was listening to SiriusXM The Highway on the way to work the other day and they were discussing the need for more personal interaction these days.  Everyone is in their own headspace or on their phones or wearing earbuds.

One example they gave was to say something different each day to the service workers in your life who you see on the daily. Their example was the SiriusXM security guard but they mentioned the barista or fast food worker or whatever.

So, I thought about that. I'm usually friendly with service workers because I know that job is mostly not fun and is absolutely not one I could ever do.  Also, I've noticed that they often look surprised when someone is pleasant and that breaks my heart a little.

On this day, I went through the starbucks drive-through.  They seem to alternate their staff so it's rarely the same person who takes your order. There isn't an opportunity to get to know them, really. It's the one flaw of going there versus a local place. (starbucks is right next to my work, in case you're wondering)  This morning though the barista was particularly chatty and friendly.  Then it happened again a few days later.

Another day the battery died in my truck so I had to drive Kevin's big truck.  Not a bad thing all in all, but it made me late.  Even with that, I stopped to get a coffee at my favorite stand.  The logic being is that a treat would hopefully curb a potential bad start to the day.

They recognized the truck as Kevin's so they were surprised that it was me.  I explained that my battery was dead so I get to drive the cool truck.

When they brought me my coffee, they also gave me a gift: a $10 customer appreciation gift card.  How cool is that!?!  Well, even a little more cool.  See the hashtag?  #youareloved.  It was in honor of Suicide Prevention Day and included a little list of happy, easy pay-it-forward things a person could do. A treat, a gift, motivation.  That's a lot love from a coffee stand.

I could make a joke about Did I look suicidal, but no.  Everyone been in the dark place and you can't always tell.  So it IS sometimes something little like this that can make the difference.




But we're not done yet.  If you're feeling a little resentful of Kevin for catching me on fire, know that every Saturday and Sunday he takes Lucy to our friend's coffee stand and gets us coffee. Every. Weekend.  Often before I'm even out of bed.

Today was no exception.  Our friend was actually working today so she sent a greeting on my coffee:


This is why coffee is important.  More over, it's why it's important to put the good out there, even when you have a dead battery.

No comments: