15 February 2020

Happy Easter

We don't usually do a big thing for Valentine's Day.  It really depends on what day it lands on in the week, what's happening in the family, and of course, what our finances are.  So we have done nothing but eat take-out at home to staying overnight at a resort.

This year was kind of a cluster, in a funny way.

Kevin texted on Monday or Tuesday "If you want to make reservations, better do it soon."  With no context, in the middle of the work day.  So, I was all "What is he talking about? Are we going on the ferry?"  So I texted "???" and he texted "C'mon, seriously?" 

I actually had to look at the calendar. Then I felt dumb and bad that he was being thoughtful ahead of time and I was all "uhhhh"

We talked and I explained that it was probably too late to make reservations and most places that we go to wouldn't require them.  He said he would call anyway and I kind of forgot about it, honestly.

I did get a card on Tuesday but we don't do gifts at this point of life so I figured I was good to go.

Fast forward to Friday.  I wished him Happy Valentines on the social media and as he was leaving for work.  Then, again, didn't think about it again.  Fridays there is no direct service at work so it's not like there were kids and families around to remind me.

Most of the office went to lunch about 11:30 so I was alone in the office.  I took the opportunity to turn my music up and get some real work done.  About an hour later, one of my coworkers returned and called out "Surely, I have something for you!" 

I walked out of my office and there is my father-in-law, holding flowers.  What?  They had left roses at the house the other day as a thank you so color me confused.

"Well, if you would answer your phone, you would know your husband is trying to give you flowers!"   He goes to explain that Kevin was going to surprise me at lunch but couldn't leave work.  He arranged for my f-i-l to deliver flowers to my office.

Except the office was locked and I wasn't answering my phone. NEAT.

Kevin's dad told the whole story for everyone to hear then turned to leave "Happy Easter!!" he calls out.  Sigh...yes, Happy Easter.  Bless his misfiring brain.  He was so pleased to be in on the shenanigans though. 

Hooray, because: flowers!!!  Except that my f-i-l bought the arrangement he usually buys for my m-i-l.  It has lilies in it, which I am really super allergic to.  Because of course.  So I left them in the main office and STILL had to take an antihistamine and the inhaler.

I felt proud, yet a little guilty as I listened to people exclaim over the flowers then feel disappointed that their person hadn't done so.  Two of the other women had flowers delivered by the end of the day so that was nice.

Once Kevin got home from work, he realized that he didn't buy a card.  Because of the flowers and the failed lunch plans, he had checked off Valentine's Day responsibilities off his list. He felt really badly and offered to stop at the store before going to dinner.  I laughed and declined the offer.  Really, it fit in with how this whole holiday had gone.

We had dinner at our regular date night place, which is nice and low-key.   We skipped dessert, went to bed early and we both actually slept in today.  That is after Lucy launched herself into the middle of the bed at 5:00  this morning. 

So, while not Space Travel, and not nothing but somewhere in between, the day was lovely.  Well done, Kevin.

And I promise to answer my phone next time (*shaking my head because probably won't*)




No comments: