16 January 2021

Essay in Suspension

 So, I've been upfront that I was kind of a troubled kid.  All in all, I was fine; good grades, no drugs, no jail.  But I had my things.

I was suspended from school a few times.  In my times though, they had "In School Suspension". It was just a room removed from the rest of the school where you spent your school hours, including lunch and breaks.  Other than the not talking thing, I didn't hate it.  Also, you could slide notes under the carousel desks pretty easily.

My English teachers were pretty disappointed in me for not living up to my potential.  Stand in line, folks, it forms to the right.  

They thought they'd be clever and give me a list of S.A.T. vocabulary words (fifty, I think) and required me to write a fictional essay.  

Even now, I'm kind of laughing about that tactic.  "Wait, what? You want me to spend suspension doing something I love AND am good at?  You animals."

I had three days suspension and I was done in one.  This isn't to be all braggity and look-at-me, it's to show how excited I was for the challenge.  #nerd

This is also where I say that my English advisor/mentor/person told me that the essay would have won some composition award.  BUT because it was written while I was suspended, it wasn't eligible.  I mean, c'mon, if that's not my life summed up in a nutshell, nothing is.

And upon scanning it to the computer, I just spotted the note written from the teacher: "Read it to the class"  OMG. "Now presenting Essays from Jail."  Thank gawd that I was in suspension because I would have died having it read in front of me. Or WORSE: having me read it.

 I also noticed that my grammar and punctuation errors have never quite been eradicated.  This is on me and not my education though.  My alphabet brain can tell you the telephone number from the bar my parents went to on the daily but not remember where semi-colons and commas are supposed to go. 






No comments: