13 October 2008

Novel Idea

It's Fall now so my mind is turning toward winter projects...snow day projects, if I'm lucky. As I am avoiding eye contact at all costs with my one messy closet, my eyes have focused on my bookshelf.

The bookshelf is one shelf from reaching our ceiling. I didn't want it originally but Kevin hated the colorful piles of books that sat under the window so I relented. Now it's nearly full and I'm going to have to do a book purge. Not my favorite task. But we've been in the Malibu Barbie Dream house for four years so it's time.

When we moved I packed the books haphazardly and mixed the books I hadn't read with the books I have. Now, we get to play the "Did I read this?" game and the "Did I like this?" game.

What really made me think seriously about this is that I somewhat guiltily clicked the "purchase" button on Amazon....well, four times. I bought four books by Paulina Simons....thank you Dynamita for the recommendation of Girl in Times Square, btw...and I'm going to need room for those.

Oh, and I might have brought a book home from work today...

It's a problem. I have issues.

I need to figure out how I am going to do this...I can take the discards to a bookseller but that's tedious and frankly, feels a little cheesy.

I have no patience for Craigslist or Ebay listings.

My work is swimming in books right now...hmm, what to do, what to do!?!

I have lots of Danielle Steel books. I think I buy them out of habit than anything else. She used to write these great historical and/or epic novels. Now she just cranks them out and they're not far from Harlequin romances. Those will be easy to purge but not easy to be rid of. Look at all the used book stores/sections: there's *always* Danielle Steel books.

My eldest niece reads a lot but I would have to be choosy lest my brother finds out I've given her books with "adult content" because you know kids these days, they're not exposed enough to that crap.

My youngest niece is a romantic but we fall into the adult content thing again. Sigh. Although I was reading Danielle Steel novels when I was a freshman in high school....hmm, must think on that.

Paperbooks are easily banished. *happily wiping of hands together*

I usually automatically keep books that were gifts, unless I really, really hated the book. So there's a handful that will be easily dealt with.

And then we come upon the category of "I meant to read this but do I *really* want to read it or do I just feel like I *should* read it." Ugh, that's going to be medium on the difficult scale.

Now I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I guess I'll wait until the four new books arrive...or the bookshelf teeters over...or I can't fit anymore onto the table next to my chair...or....

1 comment:

Swistle said...

Book thinning is so difficult. We usually end up looking at the bookshelves for awhile, picking up one book after another and then putting it back, wondering what to do with the extras (we usually donate them to the library, but they hardly keep any donations so that's unsatisfying too), and then, finally, buying another set of bookshelves.