20 October 2008

Vegas or Bust

One month from today we will be flying to Vegas. As we're on the countdown now, I'm getting increasingly nervous. This is my second time to Vegas and I'm excited about going but this is the first time that we're taking the racecar. Yikes. This time, it's a working vacation.


We're going down to race with the big boys, as I call them. It's like a minor league player getting called to the majors for a game. These guys are are the Pro's of this type of racing. We are going down with the very realistic expectation of getting our asses handed to us. We are going down for the once-in-a-lifetime experience of racing with guys we've only read about and can someday dream to be.


This is only possible because Kevin's parents are sponsoring getting the racecar down there. My f-i-l is towing the car down with my nephew riding along. Also a once in a lifetime opportunity for those two, I must say. We are flying down to meet them, again like the big boys do.


One of the reasons I'm anxious is that we're racing. There is going to be more pressure than when we ran for the championship here at home. There is nation-wide media coverage at the event. I am focusing on the fact that we'll also be racing with friends and trying to convince myself that "it's just another race."
Yeah, we'll see how that goes.


Now, as if that's not enough pressure, did you catch what I wrote earlier? We're traveling with the family. The brother & sister in law, the mother & father in law and the nephew. Yeah.
I will need two things by the end of this trip, if not both: Prozac or bail money. My friend D is on alert for both of these items.


Because this is a working vacation, we won't be able to see as much of Vegas as before. I'm a little disappointed about that. We'll be at the racetrack, at least, Friday through Sunday. That leaves Wednesday afternoon, possible Thursday and most of Monday to do the Vegas thing.
Some of you may remember the travel journal I posted last year and I indicated that I had a list of things we missed on the last trip. I still have that list and it's unfortunately grown in a years time. We'll just have to see.

I am trying not to obsess but so far, not so good. As we are not checking bags on the airplane, I have to have everything packed three days in advance. My f-i-l is leaving Monday morning. This means I have to double up on some things, some of which I know I'll forget and then remember the moment the truck tires hit I-5. That and the weather swings. I have to pack for 80 degrees and 40 degrees. Luckily, I am a habitual over-packer.

I recognize that the pressure is also on Kevin, he is after all the Driver. But I am going to be the cruise director, if you will. It's my responsibility that all the paperwork is finished, all the data logging gets done, figuring out the race schedule, herding everyone where they need to be. Oh for the love of God and all things Holy, I'm freaking myself out. *deep breath* This is a dream come true for Kevin, it's going to be great. It's going to be great....


I did come up with the idea of buying a Starbucks gift card before we go so that will be one less expense to deal with. Starbucks was my saving grace last year (as I don't drink) and I'm REALLY going to NEED it this year.

So, that's what I am currently obsessing over.

Now I have to go roll change for the trip...





No comments: