18 September 2010

Oh Hello

So I was walking into the grocery store this afternoon and there was someone blocking the door. Always a good start to the trip.

It was someone I graduated with and all I could think was "You were annoying in high school, glad to see nothing's changed."

I skirted around her to get a cart & had to wait for someone with a child. I noticed her hair (dyed blue/black) and when she turned around, I nearly just blurted out "Really?"

It was the girl I went to school with that Michael slept with while we were still married.

Nice.

To her credit, she looked as if she turned inside out when she realized it was me. I just smiled a bit and nodded then glanced away.

I tried to head the opposite direction once in the store but we did the whole awkward meeting in the aisles thing until I just made a concentrated effort to go to the opposite side of the store.

But not before I had to stop at the deli and she was further on down, within hearing range. Kevin called to tell me something that made me laugh. I was able to be cheery and end the call with "I love you" so that was serendipitous.

Too boot, I have a cold so I really didn't pay attention to appearances when I left the house. Luckily, I am vain so it wasn't that bad. Jeans that fit, fitted black t-shirt that shows a hint of boobs, my black Dansko's. So, worse case, my hair could have used a brushing.

Gah. Sometimes shopping in your hometown blows.

1 comment:

Grey Ghost said...

Ah,a lady of class and style.I don't know if it's fashion or my age,but I find myself looking at people and thinking,do you ever look in the mirror before you go out?I always do.I decide what to wear,put it on,but if I don't like what I see in the mirror,I change.
My pet hate at the moment are,khaki,long shorts.the one's that end below the knee and have more pockets than my motocycle jacket.