28 August 2009

If death is ever funny...

this is the one time:

My dad passed quietly and peacefully. After a few minutes of snot, tears & the ugly cry, we all settled back down to make our peace with what just happened. Phone calls were made, arrangements were set into motion and life resumed.

Brother Dear sent home the girls, Little Brother's girlfriend headed home and Dustin was getting ready to leave. We were all gathered around the kitchen counter in the adjoining room from where my dad was laying.

Mom said "We have to get *this* for Dad to get him ready for his journey."

Brother Dear smiles and says "Mom? I think he's already ON his journey"

Everyone laughed, including Little Brother who was sitting on the couch, next to my dad.

Kevin Didn't KNOW he was sitting on the COUCH.

Kevin thought my dead dad just laughed at the joke.

I think Kevin might have peed a little.

We LAUGHED OUT LOUD, for a long time.

As I'm sure my Dad did, wherever he is.

1 comment:

Not Your Aunt B said...

That's pretty funny. I think he would've laughed too.