08 September 2019

His Wife Died?

I've mentioned quite a few times about being raised about wolves.

Well, my mom called today.  We hadn't talked (not for any reason other than we're not close) for almost a month.

"I'm calling to let you know before someone else does that Mike's wife died..."

Ummmmm...

Mike is my ex-husband.

There's a few things to discuss here:

My EX-husband.  Whom I have a permanent restraining order against. The one who was awful to me in all the ways a person can be awful.  Who I was married to thirty years ago.

I've never met his wife.

"Before someone else does...."  What does that mean, even?  She elaborates, later in the conversation:  "I just didn't want you to get blindsided by someone on the street."

Wut.

I looked at the obituary while she was talking.  It sounds like she was really sick.  It says they were married since 1999, and surprise to me: his sister died three years ago.  This actually does make me sad.

But I'm not sure what sort of feelings she expected me to have.  *shrug*

I mean, it is sad that he lost his wife.  But it affects me....looking around...not at all?

Am I supposed to send a card?  Go to the funeral?  I legally cannot do either of those, really.

And this is a prime example of my family.  You're welcome to puzzle it out.

No comments: