27 September 2019

Spare Parts

One of Kevin's best friends has Lupus and it's been increasingly worsening.  So much so that he has kidney failure in one kidney and the other is well on its way.  He is looking at dialysis now and a transplant in the very near future.

The subject of donating a kidney came up between Kevin and I, like it would when it's one of your people.  This is a guy who would NEVER hint, ask or expect anyone to offer.  It was just a default setting for me - or anyone, hopefully - to consider.   We both have a spare, if you will.

I am not a What If person, sometimes to my own detriment.  But I have found myself What If'ing in this instance.  It's kind of a big deal, giving up internal organs.  Even spare ones.

So then that wandered over into Who Would You Give a Kidney territory.  Like some sort of a family and friend hierarchy or football pool.

I mean, it's not black and white for me.  For instance, Kevin's parents would be a no because they're in failing health and have had long lives.  Some members of my family would be a no because of their lifestyles.  Nephew, even, would be a risk because of his Crohn's disease that will unfortunately take him from this earth earlier than a regular life expectancy.

Then a person could rank by age, so Sweet Baby obviously.  Then work our way up the ladder of the nine grand nephews and nieces and then the four grown ones.  Feels a little like playing favorites and if we're being honest, that's probably a thing to be considered as well.

And there IS the expression "I would give them a kidney" (or is that just me? could be just me.)  I can think of a few friends that I would do that but the list is small and specific.

I mean, I don't believe I could idly stand by and watch someone die from lack of something I could give.  I also believe that a person doesn't really know what they would do until put into that situation.

So, we wait and see. Right now his wife is offering but she had breast cancer years ago so they are cautious.  He has siblings also so it's not like he's going to have to surf the dark web for a kidney. It just brought up an interesting moral discussion.

This hesitation, if you will, applies to when I'm alive.  After I'm gone, have at it.  Consider me a wrecking yard.  Take all the spare parts you need.

1 comment:

Swistle said...

SUCH a complicated and interesting question. Like: for one of my kids, DEFINITELY. Anyone else....errrrrr, case by case!