24 September 2019

Sink Volcano

Wanna talk about clogged sinks?  Why wouldn't you?

If you're like me and you have, you know, Hair, then you've probably encountered clogged sinks.

Here is what we've figured out about that.

Kevin put in some sort of thing under the sink so that the entire sink doesn't have to be disassembled when cleaning the drain.  It's easy enough that I can do it except he tightens it so tight that I can't.  Yes, I do think he does it on purpose.  This task is categorized as Man Work.  It's fine, it's not like I look forward to it.

So, instead, I got my nerd on. Did some research about how to organically do this task. We're on a septic system so this is important to me. And I just don't like using chemicals.

To keep drains CLEAN you can make a sink volcano.  Yep, a volcano.  Did you ever make one in grade school?

1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar down the drain. More if needed or you're just entertained easily like me.
Close the drain.
In about an hour, uncap and listen for fizzing.  If still fizzing then let it sit a bit more. (unlikely but I'm not known for patience  or proper measuring)
Pour one gallon boiling water down the drain. (use a stock pot. Yes, I know what a stock pot is)

This helps keep it from getting clogged. Although I did notice a web page state that the science doesn't play. What I say to that is PSSSH and that it has worked for us in the past.

And it's fun.  SINK VOLCANO

But I will say that with everything going on, we did get a slow draining sink that eventually turned into a clog.

It was a time investment but it is totally worth not calling a plumber.  It's very similar to the sink volcano.

Fill Stock pot full of water
Add Dawn dish soap (I don't have the amount...it doesn't take much)
Bring to a boil
Pour directly down the drain
Repeat not only until the drain clears but AFTERWARD too.

It took about six trips from the stove to the master bathroom but it worked.  I amazingly did not spill ONCE.  It was also an upper body workout so that's two wins in one task.

We live in a single level house but the interwebs suggested to make sure to do all the sinks if you have more than one level to prevent just rinsing the clog down to another area.

Now you know: Sink Volcano!

1 comment:

Melaka said...

I have the same problem and found a solution that works great for me. They are called Drain Sticks and I found them on Amazon. They are reasonably priced. They are non-toxic and I have had zero clogging (even with long hair) since I started using them. Good Luck and I love your posts :)
Melaka