22 September 2019

It's A Baby Step

One of my top ten favorite things the other day included Greta Thunberg.  If you've watched any sort of news lately, you're aware that she is a teen who is heading up the charge and protest for the climate crisis.  Her speeches are stunning.

I mentioned to my bff the other day that I've been trying to lessen our plastic use.  I already use resusable grocery bags and if I can't then I request paper and recycle those.  It is becoming more widespread that the plastic bags are being banned, especially here in the beautiful PNW.

A person would think that we are being asked to shave our heads the way people react against this change.  It's mind boggling to me.  It's a simple change that if my ADD addled brain can remember to bring bags into the store than anyone can.

Which then brings the straw topic.  Another thing that people are flipping out about and I'm all...Why?  it's a STRAW, not your human rights being violated.  The sippy cups offered at Starbucks are actually kind of cool.  And to answer the meme that "The whole cup is plastic" It is missing the point that it's also recyclable.

The hyperbole that it doesn't Help, Why Bother, this whole thing is fake/overblown/stupid, makes me want to scream.  It is a STEP, it is a small change that really doesn't negatively impact most people's lives.  It's a step that local/state governments have taken because We the People can't figure our shit out.  Babies don't just stand up and run. They take small steps until they get it figured out.  Take the small step.

The mocking that I witnessed online of the students protesting yesterday was just WHATEVER.  I mean, really, is your life that small that you mock kids trying to protect their future?  Their lives? Those little JERKS, wanting to be able to breathe in twenty years. The NERVE.

And the demeaning of their intelligence and attitudes: "They just want to skip school."  Umm, no, they want a livable planet in their adulthood and it's up to them to make it happen. Because we adults can't or don't.  Also, kids these days are really so much smarter AND emotionally intelligent than we are.  I don't accept that label at all.

Sigh. I just am tired of the world being on fire and feeling helpless. Back to the original topic: plastic reduction.

I recycle plastic bags, if I get stuck with them.  Handy tip: food banks often will take them and other types of bag. (paper, reusable)

I've reduced the amount of plastic sandwich bags I use for Kevin's lunch.

I try to use containers instead of ziplock bags. this is more challenging than I thought. I didn't realize how much I use those bags.

One of the more difficult ones is not buying items that are in massive packaging, most of which is not recyclable. I've noticed in stores things like kitchenware or bedding that no longer come packaged.

To-go containers are a challenge also. I'm always surprised when I see styrofoam. Who uses styrofoam anymore?  Taco Time uses compostable cups, utensils, etc.  There is another restaurant this does as well that I'm blanking on, unfortunately. I read that McDonald's has set a long-term goal to convert to these items too.  It's encouraging.

I reuse straws if I can. Need one? I have so many. Most of them will withstand the dishwasher a few times. Otherwise we just decline them. We don't need them, they've just become a habit.  There are reusable straws but I haven't gone that far just yet.

I don't buy plastic plates, etc. I use paper and real utensils. I try to use a rag or towel instead of paper towels. The one fail that I have is paper napkins. I just can't with the cloth ones.  I bought water bottles and don't buy bottled water anymore.  There was a meme the other day that says "*COMPANY* doesn't sell water, they sell plastic bottles with water in them"  Funny how a simple meme can suddenly make an idea clear.

I recycle what I can. We don't pay for recycling so I take it myself every few weeks for free. It's surprisingly clean and easy. And a little cathartic: I love breaking the glass items.  My workplace is not diligent with recycling (I sure miss working in a green county/city)  and I'm trying to affect change there in whatever way I can.  This means yes, I will fish something out of the garbage or find recycling bins and place them strategically.

This post isn't to say Oh Look How Cool I Am but to encourage and provide examples of where little baby steps can be taken that will have a bigger impact later.

And to say Stop Mocking Kids.  They're just trying to stay alive.

1 comment:

angela said...

I've never really used straws, plastic or otherwise, until I purchased some metal ones for my boys. They are wonderful! Highly recommend.

Also: we are on a similar plastic-reduction path, I have also found I rely way too much on those darn convenient zip bags.