20 January 2020

Despite the Broken Shoe Lace

I have today off and it's probably the first time ever that I've resented a long weekend.  After having winter break and unexpected snow days/delays, I am more than ready to be back on a regular schedule.

And, please, remind me of this feeling in a few weeks.

To fend off said unreasonableness, I made a plan to do all those errands that just don't ever get completed during the work week.  Donations, returns, forgotten items at the grocery store.

I slept in, took Lucy to get treats at the coffee stand, then returned to load up the truck.  And yes, there are still inches of snow on the ground here. We are not talking about that right now.

And then I busted a shoelace.  Legend has it that it's bad luck and omen.  I sighed and changed sneakers, deciding to risk it.  Then I just heard on the radio that today is considered the Saddest Day of the Year.  I'm really tempting fate today.

I took recycling that was super overdue because of the snow.  I had my few minutes of therapy by throwing glass bottles into the bin.  Breaking glass is so soothing to me.

I returned the slippers my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas.  I didn't have the receipt because I just didn't have it in me to deal with retrieving it from them.  I knew by doing so that the amount of cash returned would be less AND be restricted to use in the store.  I just didn't care.  It turned out to be $3.99, which just made me giggle.  The cashier and manager were prepared for me to be grouchy about it but I wasn't.  I just made $3.99.

I wandered the store and remembered that I needed lip balm.  BFF K gave me a blue balm years ago and I loved it. By dumb luck, I found it.  $3.49.  Now I have fifty cents left to spend.  I then remembered that there was a frame that I admired during Christmas shopping.  $9.99 so $9.50-ish once tax is applied.  WIN.  I was returning something at another store so I was still in the green.

There is a certain population who shops at this drug store.  I watched a woman buy five travel sized bottles of tequila and thought "She's just trying to get through the day."  Then an elderly woman in green velour pants, green fringe vest, and bright red shirt and cowboy boots walked in the door.  She asked a gentleman who was leaving if he worked here.  He was friendly and it turns out he's an advocate for folks in crisis.  He knew his population, for sure, and knew he was talking to one of them.  He spoke to her for a few minutes then she came back into the store.

"WHERE'S THE MANAGER?" she announces loudly.  There was no question there.  The manager was helping me, he remained silent, and I'm all "Oh, dude, I'm sorry."  He was all "What?" and I said "Wait for it." and sure enough she approached him while completely ignoring me.

Here's a thing to know about crazy people: they use way too much detail when they want something. They tend to inflate their own importance and the issue they are currently having. The trick is passive-response. "Okay" is confirmation of listening, not of agreement. Often they will spin themselves out and wander away when they realize they're not getting anywhere with you.  I'm trying to not engage Social Services Hat while listening to her.

Anyway.
This woman started telling him about how she owns a Private Non-Profit Organization and their credit card was stolen and used in *DRUGSTORE NAME* in Las Vegas.  She has made a police report and "has a number" and has called the bank.  "You need to call the *DRUGSTORE* in Las Vegas and then call the Las Vegas Police to make sure this is HANDLED."

It is taking EVERYTHING in me not to ask her why she thinks he needs to do this.  But I kept my gaze down and concentrated on not laughing instead.  He politely asked her to wait a minute and she wandered off.
"Okay, I am not sure why YOU have to phone anyone" I say.  He laughed and said "I am wondering about that too. I don't think she is going to be happy with me."
"She's not going to be happy with anyone so there's that.  I almost want to stay and see how this plays out."
"You're welcome to stop by later and I'll tell you how it goes." and laughs in camaraderie.

Instead I headed out of the store.  Now there is a car  blocking the lot and the advocate guy from the store is talking to the woman who bought the travel size tequila. I wanted to fist bump him for putting himself out there to help people.  Instead I just got out of there.  My level of people in crisis has been met in one trip.

Three more uneventful stops...grocery store, Home Depot to return something, and Goodwill to drop off the WORLD'S LOUDEST DAWGDAMN VACUUM that Kevin's parents gave us.

Then I went to the hospital to drop off two big bags of magazines that I finally got through over the snow days. (Donate your magazines and books to the hospital. They are very much appreciated)

As I'm gathering up everything, a courier walks by my truck then pauses.  I was kind of prepared to hear a comment for parking in the loading zone.  Instead, he says:

"So my idea is mirrored sunglasses that allow you to keep your eyes open and still avoid the Weeping Angels."

At first I was puzzled then realized it was a Doctor Who reference.  He saw the TARDIS and Dalek decals on the window.  It made me laugh and appreciate the Whovian Universe.

Then I returned home, satisfied that I had finished all those errands, survived people in crisis, and met a fellow Whovian, and brought home a gift that I really wanted.  Now I'm finishing chores so I'm prepared for the long/short workweek.

I will worry about the broken shoelace another day.

1 comment:

Swistle said...

$3.99 for the slippers YES WINNING