26 January 2020

Trading Old for New

Well, I finally did it.  I bought myself a new laptop.  I never ever make large purchase for myself, and well, not even usually small ones, if I'm being honest.  It took me months to buy a $100 microwave and I only did it because Kevin gave ours away.

My trusty - at least ten years old - laptop is on hospice. It unexpectedly shut down the other day and the fan is making death throes noises.  The key board gets hot.  It's slow af, the memory is full, and finally, as if that isn't enough, it runs Vista.  For those of you who aren't Nerds, this is about four operating systems old.  An elderly dinosaur in the computer world.

Even with all of that, I am in mourning.  I love that laptop. Out of all the ones I've owned/used, it was my favorite. Like an old hoodie, it was just...comfortable.  It was probably my first big girl laptop that was from my job at the YW.  It's not just the computer, it's what it represents. 

So, yes, I attach myself to unusual things.

I was planning on buying a new laptop with our income tax, which won't be for about a month.  In the meanwhile, I was snooping around to see what I wanted.  There is a laptop in my amazon account right now that seemed to be my destiny.  IT'S PURPLE. 

Yet yesterday when I was looking around, I found one at Office Depot of all places.  I remember a long time ago that a bookkeeper I used to know said they are a good place to look for laptops.  They're kind of like Macy's, when they have sales: it's a SALE.

I bought a $500 laptop for $325.  It was on sale AND there was a coupon for signing up for emails/account.  Otherwise, I was looking at about $400 for a lesser laptop. 

It's a Lenovo, the same as my beloved.  It's 17.3" screen and has a medium sized processor and memory.  It's perfect for me. The big screen is incredible and so much easier for my failing eyesight. Set up was easy peasy, it's already hooked into my old printer and wireless mouse, and the transition is complete. 

The dinosaur is still plugged in, next to it.  I just can't quit it yet.  To be fair to my anthropomorphizing a laptop, I still have some stuff to be transferred. After that, it may just sit on my desk as tribute or a reminder. Like an old clock or book.

I ordered it online, to be picked up in an hour.  Unfortunately, it was late in the day so I couldn't just go get it myself and not drive in the dark.  I dithered over waiting until the refund arrived but this was such a good deal.

And, this is where I say that Kevin just sold $350 worth of racecar parts in the morning, with the intention of putting the money toward another project. 

I asked him if he minded if I spent that $350 and while I'm asking: would he please take me to go pick it up. With a cute smile, of course.

"Well, you never ask for anything so of course." was his answer. Then he bought us burgers to-go so we could get right home and I could play with my new toy and not have to worry about dinner.  All of the winning.

Now I will be spending time today playing with my new toy. Gone are my excuses for not writing.  Well, let's not go crazy. 





No comments: