27 January 2020

You Didn't Eff It Up - Another Success Story

Because the breakfast burritos were semi-successful, Kevin wondered if I could make enchiladas.  Seems a high bar for me but that's what the internet is for.

I researched and added ingredients to my weekly shopping list.  I decided to do it on Sunday because those seem to be the most low-key days.  Other than fishing a Fed-Ex truck out of a precarious ditch, it was a low-key day. (more on that in another post)

And now it is Sunday. First I emailed Swistle that an adventure was afoot.

Secondly, music: Alexa, play 80's on 8

Next: new laptop set on the counter to record my progress for your entertainment and refer to the painfully simple recipe multiple times

Kevin out of the house

Start with browning the burger...exactly my skill level. This is a good start.

Ignoring that the baby is next door and I want to go play. Also: irritating that the fam doesn't let me know when he's here.  (jealousy? pettiness? on their behalf, why yes)

PAUSE. Kevin needed something in the shop so there's one more distraction. 

Back...I've looked at two recipes, multiple  times. Thank dog for the new laptop.  Anyway, recipes. One is more Americanized, the other more traditional. Because I don't necessarily know what I'm doing, I'm doing a mixture of both.  What can possibly go wrong?

Kevin just asked if I was excited and/or confident?  I laughed nervously and asked him "Have you met me?"  He says "What can go wrong? Because: Mexican food.  It's all the same ingredients, just in different shapes."   He's not wrong. lol

Upon assembly, I snapchatted Swistle and she responded "Looks good so far"

It really is pretty simple.  I need to calm down about this.

Now I have a jar of salsa con queso that I don't know what I'm going to do with.  I bought ingredients for both versions so I also have corn street-taco size tortillas.
Guess they just leave the door open for more cooking adventures.  Because anything is possible right now.

This is also where I say that I work with Latina women. I should have just asked them.  But I didn't have time on Friday.  I'll ask them after I know how this ends. And am feeling strong enough for the large amounts of (earned) mocking prior to the advice.

FAST FORWARD

Kevin has declared "You didn't eff them up. They're really good" and AGAIN with the incorrect opinion that there was too much cheese.  Who did I marry?

I made three enchiladas in one medium sized baking dish.  Next time I think I will only make two.  Also, I would use less taco seasoning in the ground turkey. (it was a little salty)

Also, Kevin wondered about beans in addition to the meat, when I mentioned the vegetarian version. At what point does it just become a burrito?  Are there rules anymore?

Update: Kevin remains wrong in his opinion of cheese.

I mostly stuck with the traditional recipe and am glad for it:
white flour tortillas
ground turkey
enchilada sauce
onions 
shredded cheese (Just the right amount, KEVIN)
Salsa (or enchilada sauce...the salsa goes on the bottom of the baking dish)

Bake 20-25 minutes at 350.  

Easy Peasy.

I snapchatted Swistle at the end of dinner, after leaving her on a cliffhanger.  I typed what Kevin said, verbatim.  He blanches: "No, you didn't.  She's going to think I'm a...heathen."  Dude, she already knows.

So.  One more successful cooking endeavor.

1 comment:

Swistle said...

Dear Kevin, It's true. I already know. Very much approve. Love, Swistle