18 January 2020

Preach, Pal.

Dude, I am cranky.  I am rarely cranky. Sarcastic and smartassy, always but rarely cranky.
We are on day eleventy of snowapocalypse.  We thought it was done then awoke to an additional six inches of snow yesterday.  While pretty, I am also pretty over it.

I can around in it fine, mostly.  Our driveway and road is sketchy and will be until July 5th.  The main road is usually okay as they inconsistently plow it (it is not populated and crosses county borders) But the walkways and stuff are all either ice or a slushy mess.

Someone who lives in this house that isn't me or Lucy, keeps wearing shoes in the house; which on regular day is totally fine.  But you know what I hate? wet socks.  Who has wet socks not once but twice today, I do.

Work has been closed or late start all week, to add to the already challenging school year.  AND THEN it's a long weekend.  I don't think ever in my life resented a long weekend but I am that girl right now.  What is happening to me?  This is not cool.

That brings us to yesterday.

Kevin's dad had to go to the doctor because he was having kidney pain. They actually kind of planned ahead and asked to use Kevin's truck. This makes me super anxious but Kevin was okay with it.  We made a point of digging out the big truck and making pathways so everyone had a vehicle and could move around in one-foot of snow.  (they have a van that doesn't do well in the snow and is under one foot of it currently)

And then it snowed six more inches overnight.  FML.  Kevin's alarm goes off at 5:08 am.  His phone rings before the alarm went off, which usually means the ambulance is on it's way.  So, that's a pleasant way to awaken.

His dad is worried that it has snowed and he can't drive in it. This is where I say that of course our number is the first number that they call. (side-eye to the b-i-l).  I already knew I had late start but Kevin flipped into problem-solving mode. "I'll just take the day off" he says, resigned.  "OR someone next door can take him"  Kevin flatly said no.

He phoned his guys and got everyone going in the proper direction then phoned his dad to tell him that he would take them.  His dad melts down because he doesn't want Kevin to lose work. Sweet of him but what did he think was going to happen?

You think it's done, but it's so not.

I have to go to work but I had already figured out that I need to call out so they can take my truck instead of the other two.  Kevin insists that I go to work and they'll just take the big truck.  In his state, he is determined that he can get both parents in his big truck.

That incredulousness you just felt?  YEAH.  The next few minutes did not go well.  I had to let it go but not before saying "How bad are you going to feel when you have to call the ambulance?"

Lesson from this: Sometimes you have to choose your battles.  Most of the time, it's with the parents but sometimes it's between you and your person.  It also falls into the One Crazy Person at a Time category.

So, I got ready for work and he went next door.

By the time he got over there, his mother had decided she wasn't up to going.  That pretty much takes care of everything.  I can go to work, Kevin can take either of the trucks, and the time that his mother is spent alone is minimal.

Apparently, the in-laws had decided that the kidney pain was cancer.  It couldn't possibly be anything else. Now, to be fair, nearly every single person in the family has died from cancer. However, why are we going to the dark place as a first choice?  I just can't with this...moving on...

It's a back strain from caring for his mother.  Not cancer.

To alleviate the back pain, he has to sit while doing her feedings for her G-tube.  This meant reconfiguring their living room so he doesn't have to stoop or kneel.  AND we are still not making eye-contact with the fact that they need in-home care. No, whatever you just thought, No. It won't work and believe me we have tried EVERYTHING.

LUCKILY Kevin was the one who helped manage making the living room more accessible.  His dad had gone next door to check on a neighbor so it was just he and his mom. I tend to be too direct in these situations and his brother tends to be too passive so that's why I say "Luckily" and why I wasn't the one helping.  That and I was at work.

I understand not wanting to change things in your living space. I understand not wanting to give things away.  But it's not a choice and this is where it fell apart a little bit.  His mom argued with Kevin and tried the "You don't listen to me" tact, which makes me want to swing.  "You don't listen to me" is code for "You're not doing what I want."

Kevin - who has more than earned a Full Access Pass to wherever we go after this life - persevered and now there are accommodations in their tiny living room for the G-tube equipment.  Shouldn't have this already been done, like, months ago? Of course.

So, shiny side: I now own a Tiffany lamp, which I have coveted for years.  Unfortunately I now also own a side table that I don't want and bonus: don't have room for.  Well, give it away, you just very reasonably thought.

It's a mate to a table we already have and it's an "heirloom" that she wants to stay in the family.
Because of course.

If I give it away, I have to replace the table in our mudroom where our keys and stuff sit.  Not a big problem but it's not like I want to go anywhere right now to shop for a table.  And it's Just One More Thing.  Next step is to take photos of the tables, text it to the nephew and niece, wait for a reply and then oh wait, SNOW so no one can come get them right now anyway.

AND a random cousin wants them if no one else wants them, she says.  A random cousin who doesn't participate in our family at all and I'm not sure how the mother even knows this.  She said something similar about giving away her Christmas decorations and my f-i-l was a little "What?"  I  believe she THINKS that this cousin wants them, not that there was an Actual Conversation about it.  So, here it sits in my office, awaiting its fate.

To callback to a previous bloggity post: there just isn't a straight line to anything anymore.  Even Kevin sighed the that morning "Nothing is easy anymore."  YEAH BUDDY. PREACH.

No comments: