19 April 2020

Grocery Shopping Karma

One of the things that has happened during this lovely little quarantine is that I've set up the in-laws with the Clicklist at Krogers.  It's saved on a different browser on my computer and they just have to provide the list.  I mean, it seems pretty bullet-proof.

I've figured out to schedule a pick-up as soon as there is one available and just about every week.  It's taken some juggling but I think we have a system now.  (TIP: schedule in the early morning on Monday, that seems to be when there is the most availability.  AND do it even if you're not ready; just add like three things to the cart then modify the order when you're ready.)

At first though, it went with it's challenges. On the provided list, brand names weren't a thing, accuracy was fluid, and then there's judgement.

My f-i-l is "pre-diabetic", which frankly probably means diabetic.  We had to stop giving them candy for holidays because he would eat it all before the m-i-l could get any.  So, it's with a little bit of squinting that I add "6 pack of 20 oz. Sunkist orange soda" to the cart.  Hilariously - only to me, probably - one time they got the half-cans of soda because that was the substitution.  To me, it's just the universe telling him to stop drinking crap.

We had to have the discussion of "No, you can't order toilet paper right now" AGAIN.  This is Brand New Information and started the Number One Chart Topper this month of "Dear, we don't NEED toilet paper."  I just threw my hands and slid the door shut, walked back to the peace and non-crazy of our house.

Because they are in their eighties, they seem to go through a lot of staples.  For example, like, a LOT of butter.  Like a pound of butter every week-ish.  Some of it was baking, because he likes to bake now. But some of it I just wonder how in the name of Carmen San Diego are they using so much.

She keeps listing "Cremora Creamer"  I have zero idea if this is a thing of the past or what. I'm guessing it was a brand way back in the 1900's. What she means is the powdered creamer.  And like the butter, they use A LOT.

The f-i-l enjoys SO much going to pick up groceries.  We can't tell if it's because it gets him out of the house or if he thinks it's fancy to have groceries delivered to his car.  Probably a little bit of both.  I wondered to BFF if they will keep doing it after this passes.  I kind of hope so, it's just one more reason for them not to be out and about at their age.  Even if it does give me grey hair.

So, then I wondered what folks would question if they saw our shopping list.  We don't eat "clean" but we eat pretty well for people who eat like small children.   There isn't a ton of candy, cookies, chips.  I think the worst is ice cream and even then it's only Kevin that eats it. 

It also reminded me of when I was housebound and Kevin had to do the shopping. This is when we learned that Surely shops by color and not by actually reading.  Kevin would go to the store, put his bluetooth earpiece in, phone me, and then shop. 

I could tell him it's on THIS aisle, at eye-level, and in a blue package.  There were no brand names, sizes, or anything specifically definable. 

So I guess if I look at this situation from that perspective, grocery shopping karma is visiting me on the regular.


1 comment: