11 April 2020

Like a Fancy Bandit

With the whole Stay Home, Stay Healthy order in place and restrictions on shopping, I had to figure out the whole mask thing finally.  I ordered one from Etsy but it won't be here until Monday.  I only have one bandana and it's red.  Where I live, a red bandana is perhaps not a good idea; even though I'm a middle aged white woman.  (confirmed by Hispanic and Latina friends)

I dug through my cedar chest and found two silk scarves that were my great aunts.  I'm sure they are older than me.  One is flimsy but longer and the other is standard scarf size.  I started with the scarf one, thinking I could do the folding/hairbands thing.

Guess what doesn't cooperate with folding and hairbands?  Silk scarves.

So, while sitting in the grocery store parking lot because I don't plan things well, I am tying a bandit style scarf around my head.

And this is where we discovered that I don't like having my mouth/nose covered.  Like panicky Get It Off, Get it off, No seriously GET IT OFF.  Yea for past trauma that cannot be predicted to show up and say Hi.

I took it off, put my hair in a pony tail, and retied it around my head, pulling it tight enough to sit on the bridge of my nose and just kinda hang loosely. Like some sort of fancy bandit. I practiced breathing then got my stubborn on and went into the store.

Once I got the hang of it, it wasn't terrible but it was definitely not my favorite thing. Also, it felt like it was slipping constantly so now I'm Touching My Face.  And trying to breathe. And trying not to feel absolutely ridiculous.

Most of the people were wearing some sort of something in the store.  (some of the older folks weren't, which made me stabby)  It became a game to see who was wearing what style of covering.  There were bandanas, scarves, masks, homemade masks.  And everyone pretending like This is Perfectly Normal

I snapchatted my BFF when I was done and we commiserated about this is the world we live in now and how much it sucked. Because of the snapchat, I don't have a photo of when it happened so I recreated it just now.  Forgetting, because of who I am as a person, that I've been working in the garden all day in a windstorm.  So, crazy homeless hair for your entertainment:


No comments: