27 April 2020

Welcome Our Robot Overlords

Day Three of cohabitating with Rosie the Robot.  I am a fan.  In fact, I have been resisting the urge to set her to work all day.  She is one of those situations where I wondered why I waited so long.

Lucy, however, NOT a fan.  She hates anything inanimate that moves on it's own.  (Like balloons, for instance.)  She barked at it, she challenged it, she told us and the neighborhood about it, and she barricaded herself against it.  Kevin finally took mercy and asked me to send Rosie home.  Because he holds no power over the robot.

I will say it's disconcerting to have a robot move freely about the house.  A person sees it in movies where people are totally relaxed with A.I. in their lives and I'm all...hmmm.  I know it's just a vacuum, I haven't completely snapped from the 45 days of working from home.  Yet.  Something moving along on it's own throughout your house is a little strange.

Out of respect for Lucy, we pondered setting Rosie to work the overnight shift.  While listening to her whir, bounce off of items, and the whisk-whisk-whisk against a closed doors, I decided that I didn't need to wake up to a Stephen King movie soundtrack.

She does a very good job under the bed and does okay under the couch.  We inherited a couch years ago and it has a heavy skirt so it struggles at little determining if it's a barrier or not.  She has gotten stuck under our bar stools and she doesn't like the backdoor entry rug.  Otherwise, she has acclimated nicely into our household.  Well, other than Lucy.  I fear they will remain mortal enemies. 

The pillows were to keep Rosie from going down the hallway. And to provide base for Lucy, obvs.




No comments: