20 October 2020

Yep, Did That.

As I mentioned, I had to travel a little bit last week for work.  It's not a big trip but a fun part of the job.

Because reasons, I had to go into my office before heading out, adding time to my work day.  Despite that, I was in a good mood; happy to be leaving the area for a little while.

Washington State has a main freeway and a few busy highways.  I was on a moderately busy highway that I regularly travel to take Lucy on walkies.  However, I was going significantly farther on this trip. I had a giant coffee to drink, my favorite playlist playing, wearing my new favorite hoodie. All was good in the world.  I was just entering farmland - beyond where I travel usually - when it occurred to me to check my speed.  

And: State Patrolman.

I just laughed.  I really did.  Flipped on my signal as he flipped on his lights.  Changed lanes and pulled over.  Grabbed my license and my insurance card, that I had just put in the truck the night before.

Like when I go through the border, I killed the engine and sat with my hands in sight.  As he approached the window, I handed him my information and simply said "Go ahead and write the ticket. I'm 100% guilty. Not even going to try."

This stunned him.  He looked at me with an expression of puzzlement and humor.  I see this expression a lot in my life.  "Well..." he looks at the documents then back at me.  He flips into his script:  "You were pulled over for speeding...You're being recorded...you were doing X in Y."

I'm still all "Yep, did that."  And he's still looking at me like I've lost my mind.

He recovers "Do you have your registration?"  

I laughed.  "I thought I was being all cool having my ID and forgot that!"  I reached for my glove box then remembered that I'm short and can't reach.  At first, I reached for my seatbelt then realized I needed to slow my roll.  Turned to look at him then unbuckled.  "I forget that I'm small"  Nothing from the officer.  I think he's still trying to determine if I'm under the influence or crazy or both.

After I gave him the registration, he said he'd be back but "it would take a few minutes."  I'm still all "I know."

While he's making sure I'm not wanted in twenty states and writing the ticket, I sneaked my phone and tried to take a photo of my rearview mirrors.  Because rain it wouldn't work and I should at least try not to get arrested so I chose my battles and put it away.

He returned to the truck, handed my information back to me then began the speech.  "I'm writing you a ticket...we all speed...don't do it again..."  I took the ticket, set it on the seat and cheerfully told him "I'll pay it when I get home."  He still just looked baffled as he walked away.

I didn't look at the ticket amount until I got to my destination, an hour later.  It occurred to me that I was SPEEDING, like seriously, and the amount could actually hurt.  Squinting, I glanced at the ticket.  Whew, just the "regular" amount.  Thank you, kind officer.

Now I know this is something that ruins peoples days. I have had that happen too.  But he so rightfully and righteously caught me that nothing can be done but laugh.  And slow down.  Probably.



No comments: