03 January 2009

Back to the Chain Gang

Tomorrow (Sunday) is my last day of vacation. I've been home for 18 days. Enough time has passed that I've established a routine, a loose one but a routine all the same. I've gotten comfortable. While I am looking forward, a little bit, to returning to a regular schedule; to be truthful: I'd rather be home. ("J", you didn't read this :-)

I've worked a real job since I was 17 years old. (not just babysitting, etc) I took time off when I was married the first time (but went to school so it's a wash) and I've taken two years off in the 18 years Kevin & I have been together. 1993 after we got married and 2006 was spent trying to put my life back together and writing the book.

My bff "C" and I have discussed this at length. We're both in long term, childless relationships. Yet we would both prefer to be home. I know, I know some of you are saying "Well, duh, of course you do!" But the catch, I feel, with us specifically is that we don't have kids so the reason to stay home seems purely selfish. Although "C" is a world traveler (literally) so this would free her time up considerably to pursue that passion.

On the flip side: I do like my job. It's a good job with benefits. It's low-stress, most days. It's easy. It's exactly what I wanted when I did finally return to work. But it is boring. It is work. Some days I do feel like I'm just whiling my days away. But then, that's just location. If I'm home, I still would be whiling my days away. Just in a more comfortable chair.

So, even though I said I wasn't going to set a resolution this year, I've changed my mind. My resolution is to get the doggone book published. I have two friends on Facebook who are writers, which is prompting me to get off my ass and do something. So feel free, blogger-friends to harass me on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to get it done.

Meanwhile, it's back to the chain gang on Monday. But I'm thankful to have a job, when so many people don't. So there's that.

Commence harassing....

No comments: